Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

strange cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuffock

The cells in my phone have insufficient capacity to finish a long conversation, so I thought it wise to replace them. The new cells do not operate the phone at all. Upon checking the new cells, I find them to have a terminal voltage of 1.2 volts with a 22 ohm load. This is as advertised. The old cells, however , are of chinese manufacture, labelled KAIFENG Ni-MH size AAA 1.2v, have a terminal voltage of 1.4 volts into 22 ohms.
There are 3 handsets with this phone ( BT Synergy), none of which work at all on the new cells, and all the cells sport a 1.4V terminal voltage.
Any ideas? There used to be some rechargeable alkaline cells about, but they seem to be long discontinued.
Does BT have any liability about the availability of consumables?

BT phones

I have been informed that the cells used in BT phones have a slightly longer positive pip than everyone else's , and consequently everyone else's cells don't make contact. This explains the non-functionality. A little blob of solder on the new cells and all is fine.
There still remains the enigma of the voltage, though.........

Rechargeable alkaline cells are 1.3V to 1.4V and can be recharged only a few dozen to a few hundred times.
Rechargeable Ni-MH cells are 1.2V to 1.3V and can be recharged 1000 times.

The range of the radio signals of the phone might be reduced when the battery voltage is reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back