Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

storms are ace!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
bad storm here its 8:22 i am ready to go to school and the bus isnt running!! really bad storm outside, toasty warm inside. really thick solid stone walls keep most the noise out and i get a day off school!! so i will get dad organized and pictures for various project parts taken :D
only down side is we have had 30 odd trees come down in the wood! they have kind of just fallen over with the roots sticking up in the air!! my bedroom over looks the wood and now i got a hole in the middle lol

its getting worse! but our house is solid stone and feels all kind of safe, in the summer i helped dad put some new tiles up on part of the roof . they are really small old square ones that weigh alot each! really thick so i dont think they will be coming off! dad has lit two of the open fires so its toasty inside :D. turns out i couldnt of gone to school anyway as a tree has fallen across the bottom of the drive! i have dads phone for internet tethering and mums laptop so even if power goes out for a bit i can still work on my project :D

Sounds like some realy bad storms, be safe and have fun working on your project.

ok i am back! i spoke to soon this morning!! things got hairy. tree came down and hit an outbuilding about 3 meters from the house! the power went out, i wasnt bothered to start with because like i said before i had the laptop and dads phone for internet connection so everything was ok. EXCEPT i had forgot i have quail chicks and chicken chicks and a large new batch of quail eggs in the commercial incubator!
we have a generator but it only runs part of the house circuit and it runs at full capacity so i couldn't hook into that!
Spoke with dad and he said as i had chosen to start a egg business it was my problem :( so i have borrowed money off dad for a small generator he went and got it and we hooked it up, have lost 6 quail chicks but the rest seem fine, will candle the eggs tomorrow night so fingers crossed, they only been in the incubator 30 hours, dad say's i might have got away with it as it was without power for 2 1/2 hours but should just about of set before power went out. if the eggs are set then you can chill them once in a while for around 3 hours if it isnt too cold!
GUTTED i am going to have to pull my savings from my savings account :( Generator and oil (they dont have oil in when new :() and petrol to run it and a petrol container and plug and sockets for the cable and the cable came to £517!!!!!! i have £530 in my savings account :( that is my life's savings!! all gone.
But i can see dad's point, he said being in business is a hard job and you got to ride the tough bits, also there is no short cuts and sometimes poo happens (he didnt exactly say poo). so looks like i am in business :D

At least you had the savings to buy the generator, other wise you would have lost all those eggs.

well dad has said he will pay after i offered to goto the bank after school today! thats if i can get to school as there seems to be alot of trees down around here!
storms are not ace, it was fun to start with but someone died in a lorry and that is sad. so for me was fun but not everyone enjoyed it and people got hurt which isnt good. One day i am going to build a genie it cant be that hard! i would like one around 6kVA

I remember our winter storms as a kid here in North Dakota. Unlike your family we didn't even have a generator for backup power. All we had was one cheap low efficiency fireplace to keep the house warm. :(

One year we were without power for something like 8 days and I recall we had a horse in our living room for a while due to it being sick and not being able to warm itself up out in the barn. I will take your egg issue over that any day! :p

lol i dont fancy a horse in the house!! off school again, part of the route for the school bus i get is closed, it goes through our nearest village and apparently the village road is shut of with trees down. it will be clear by lunchtime, but its a bit late then

Back in my school days they didn't shut school down for anything. I remember a few occasions where my bus drivers son or brother drove their farm loader tractor ahead of the bus clearing a single lane path for the bus to get through.

Once we made the 1o mile trip we would get to school only to find that most of the in town kids who walk to school never showed up! :mad:

Eh when I was living up in the north west bad storms were a party event here on the farm we've seen a flash flood and we live on the side of a hill, 100K+ an hour wind that have dropped trees but that 2kw motor conversion I did survived everything and keeps putting out power. Gave the 1000AH batteries a good charge yesterday and after a full day on house load still 25.6 under load. Tell ya dad to get an off grid system going so if the power goes out the egg's will still be warm. These days living on a farm and relying on the grid is a joke.... make your own power and keep it to yourself and forget what power bills are. It won't cost a fortune but the decision is the hardest part...

dad has talked about it, we now live on a hill so wind turbine would most obvious but getting planning permission for it is sposed to be pretty hard and expensive, i think dad favors a large diesel generator run on heating oil.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about the bad storms. We had them here too not too long ago, huge trees uprooted, etc. The whole state was out of power for a few days or more. That meant no power for food stores and gas stations.
Just hope everything gets back to normal soon, that's all you can do really.

we lost a building with a tree hitting it but nothing too bad, worse bit for us was the large numbers of trees that toppled in the wood. the ground is soaked and they just fell over with roots sticking up in the air! the wood was planted 20 years ago as a commercial spruce wood, when mum and dad brought the house they brought the wood as well, not for cropping the trees they wanted to keep them but as they fell over they hit others because its a really dense wood that was due to be thinned next year, dad has been out into it this morning and recons we have lost around 150 trees! they are pretty big so a guy is coming round to see if he wants to buy them as the wood is good quality,
I think mum and dad will replant some new trees next year in any gaps in the wood, i voted for Colorado blue spruce :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back