Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Storing Calibration Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the programmer. Some only write locations that contain a zero bit. I.E. not 0xff or 0x3fff.

Mike.

Pommie said:
It depends on the programmer. Some only write locations that contain a zero bit. I.E. not 0xff or 0x3fff.

Mine does (and always has), which is what helps make it the fastest programmer software. However, I don't know if 'writing' all ones actually counts as doing a write or not?, as nothing is changed by it.

I think it's the same with flash, but with eeprom a write of any data (even the same data back) will have to erase the block first, unless the compiler or the code itself checks to see if the data is the same before it writes.

Sceadwian said:
I think it's the same with flash, but with eeprom a write of any data (even the same data back) will have to erase the block first, unless the compiler or the code itself checks to see if the data is the same before it writes.

You can write a word over another one, but it will only affect one's that change to zero's, you can't change zero's to one's without erasing it - same applies to EPROM as well.

Much 'Flash' is actually just EEPROM any way, Atmel started calling their EEPROM devices Flash (as it's a popular buzz word), and everyone else followed suite - although there are some Flash devices now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back