Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sticky Buttons on DJ Mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

xarthor

Hi Everyone! :)

I have a DJ mixer (Pioneer DJM-909) and a few of the buttons are a bit sticky. They aren't completely frozen, but sometimes when I hit them, the stay in "down" position and I have to use my fingernail to pry them back up. Obviously, it's a bit frustrating.

My question is this: what would be the best way to clean them? Should I try 91% alcohol on a swab first? Would Deoxit be better? In either case, would I need to open up my mixer to clean the buttons from the underside, or would it be acceptable I try and work the alcohol/deoxit on the button itself and clean it from the topside?

Thanks!

Believe it or not. WD40 works great on tuners and switches.

Learned about it from "Nigel"

kv

On the advice of a tech friend of mine, I shot the buttons with Deoxit (even took the cover off to get better access to them) and yet the buttons are still sticky. They feel like they barely have any "spring" to them, unless I flick it with the edge of my fingernail as mentioned before.

Any other ideas? I don't want to ignore the WD-40 suggestion but I've read that Dexoit is much better and that in some cases WD-40 can be harmful.

On the advice of a tech friend of mine, I shot the buttons with Deoxit (even took the cover off to get better access to them) and yet the buttons are still sticky. They feel like they barely have any "spring" to them, unless I flick it with the edge of my fingernail as mentioned before.

Any other ideas? I don't want to ignore the WD-40 suggestion but I've read that Dexoit is much better and that in some cases WD-40 can be harmful.

I basically agree with Wd-40 being harmful. I have no idea of your button construction. Elastomer (like remote controls), Mechanical switch, tact switch?

You could post a pic.

Not having "spring" seems to be a different issue. Meaning lack of lubercation.

A picture might help.

What do you suppose the gunk is?

WD-40 and a switch is kinda different than a potentiometer,

So, cleaning with WD-40 to get the gunk off and then cleaning with De-oxit to remove the WD-40 would be on the table.
So is replacing the switch. if it's material fatigue that's your only choice.

Quite the opposite, we've been using Servisol 40+ (a WD40 'clone') for decades at work, as it's proven vastly superior over specific switch cleaners.

However, your case sounds more like a mechanical 'dirt' problem, rather than the actual switches - I'm presuming the buttons are NOT part of the switches?, and could simply be sticking in the front panel?. In which case removing the buttons and front panel completely, and cleaning them in hot soapy water 'might' be all that's required.

I had a look at a photo of it: https://www.pioneerdj.com/en/product/mixer/archive/djm-909/black/overview/
Also found a manual for one similar: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/812761/Pioneer-Djm-400.html?page=10#manual
Looks like tactile switches with moulded plastic button assemblies. I wonder if the supports on the buttons have broken? Even so, the switch should still push the button back up. Something else going on. I think maybe to start off you should try being generous with the cleaner from the topside.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back