Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stereo to Mono Convertor - How to isolate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duck995

I have built a stereo to mono converter.

I have used a 1/4 watt 5% 10kohm resistor between both the left and right stereo + sides as the signal goes to the mono connections.

Possible inputs are 1/8" stereo, 1/4" stereo (TRS), RCA stereo and 1/4" L/R Stereo.
Possible mono outputs are RCA and 1/4"

The converter does a very nice job of providing a mono line signal that I can send to a mono channel on my mixer.

I would like to isolate the signal so that it can only travel through the resistors to the mono connectors, but that the combined signal cannot travel back to the stereo inputs/outputs.

I do not have electronics knowledge, I have gotten this far from information that I found on the internet. I have read that diodes can accomplish this. Can anyone tell me if a diode (or other electronic component) could accomplish this for me? Size of component and other helpful instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Scott

Attachments

• Stereo to Mono Convertor.jpg
    Stereo to Mono Convertor.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 533
Stereo to Mono Converter - Use also as adapter

I have built a stereo to mono converter box

Stereo inputs are:
1/8" stereo
1/4" stereo (TRS)
1/4" L/R Stereo
RCA stereo

Mono outputs are:
1/4" mono
RCA mono

The diagram in my first post shows that I used a 1/4 watt 5% 10kohm resistor between both the left and right stereo + sides as the signal goes to the mono connections. The resistors are soldered together for the + side of the mono output. The converter functions well.

I would also like to use the box to adapt one stereo input to one of the other stereo jacks. (Ex: adapt Stereo 1/4" to RCA stereo.) How do I keep the summed left and right stereo + signals from traveling back to the stereo inputs?

I do not have electronics knowledge, I have gotten this far from information that I found on the internet.

Note: on the diagram I left out 1 label – the circle between the stereo rca jacks and the resistors represents a 1/8” stereo input.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Stereo Mono Converter.jpg
    Stereo Mono Converter.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 690
You still don't provide enough information, such as exactly what are the source and destinations - but in almost every case there's no feedback to the source, two resistors are fine. For that matter, in most case just shorting them together is perfectly fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back