Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stereo IR Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yori

im planning to build one. is it possible to transmit multiplexed audio signals through IR using FM? what are the possible problems which could occur?

It's not a problem, it's common practice to transmit stereo via IR - although in more recent years they have all moved to RF, due to IR being 'line of sight'. IR isn't too bad for headphones, but for speakers is more of a concern.

i've found some projects similar to this but they used 2 FM transmitter & 2 FM receiver modules, one for the left and one for the right channel to transmit and receive stereo.

im planning to use a multiplexer to transmit in stereo. would it still work the same as its 2 Tx and 2 Rx counterpart??

I've just had a look at an old Sony IR service manual, it's uses seperate carriers at 2.3MHz and 2.8MHz for the two channels.

Here's a part of the receiver circuit:

Attachments

• IR.GIF
    IR.GIF
    35.4 KB · Views: 182
maybe its impossible to transmit multiplexed audio signal through IR because even SONY resorted to using 2 separate carriers for each channel...what do you think??

anybody here who's an expert in the field of wireless communications, specifically Infrared transmission...really need help here... :) ei, nigel, do you know anyone who i could consult to regarding this?

Multiplexing is probably a lot more trouble than separate channels. Even old Radio Shack can get you a set of IR headphones with the transmitter for around twenty bucks.

yori said:
maybe its impossible to transmit multiplexed audio signal through IR because even SONY resorted to using 2 separate carriers for each channel...what do you think??

anybody here who's an expert in the field of wireless communications, specifically Infrared transmission...really need help here... :) ei, nigel, do you know anyone who i could consult to regarding this?

Why do you want to multiplex it?, the Sony dual carrier method seems simpler and more effective. Multiplexing was only a crude method of adding stereo to an existing mono standard, whilst maintaining compatability with existing mono receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back