Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stereo Audio Switch for Computer Speakers/Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.

johngorrow

I've made an audio switch for my computer, so I can switch between my headphones and the computer speakers. It is working great, and in stereo sound thanks to Dean's recommendation for using a DPDT switch, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to improve the sound quality.

Please see attached image.

Attachments

• audio switch diagram.JPG
    audio switch diagram.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,021
The speakers and headphones are mono, not stereo because the switch is a SPDT, not a DPDT. The input channels are shorted together which might cause distortion when the channels "fight" each other.

Describe what is wrong with the sound quality.

The switch is a DPDT switch with 6 pins. The audio is in stereo, I've tested it. I just want to know if there is a more hi-fi way of doing this. Is there anything I can improve?

Edit: I realize that in my picture, the way the wires are connected, it looks like 3 pins. There are 6, and it's connected for stereo sound.

As the audio signal for each channel travels from wire to plug to jack to wire to switch to wire to jack to plug to the headphones or speaker, is the quality of the audio signal any less? Can you measure sound quality with a multimeter?

Last edited:
Your schematic shows the channels shorted together on a single pole switch so I mentioned it.

Short wires cannot affect line level sound quality.
A heavy duty switch with tarnished silver contacts might.
I always use gold plated contects for switching line level and low level audio.
They cost the same because the gold plating is thin.

A multimeter cannot measure sound quality.

Ok, so if I were an audiophile, the only thing I would do differently would be use a switch with gold-plated contacts?

Gold plated contacts are perfect for switching line level and low level audio.

What is line level and low level audio?

Edit: Can anyone give me a link?
Line level is 150mV to 750mV from a CD player or MP3 player into 10k ohms which is a low current.
Low level is a few mV from a phonograph or microphone.

They are not the many volts and many amps from the output of a power amplifier to a speaker. Gold contacts can not be used to switch speakers unless the switching is done when the speaker is silent without any current.

Look in Google for a link.

Plssssssssssss

I have to have a copy of the full schematic, PCB payout.. if you still have it...

This sounds good stuff... did you use USB for your speakers or jack socket?

I need one that will accept a USB speaker connection and a headphone jack.. slightly different maybe...

Any advice/help etc.. would be much appreciated.

Reagrds

smash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back