Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepping Down Voltage on a Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaeljd38

I am working on a project where I need 3.6V or less to power an IC chip. The chip will be located near the axle on a trailer. I want to use the 12V power supply provided by the trailer wiring that is used generally for accessories. Can I use a simple DC-DC converter to step down this voltage to 3.6V or less? I don't want to spend a lot of money as it is a prototype project. Is there another, better or more efficient way to step it down?

Thanks for your help!

Hi,

If the current isnt too high you might get away with a linear regulator.

For best efficiency you would use a buck converter (step down switcher).

For current < 100mA or so a linear regulator would be fine. For current < ~10mA you could use a 3.3V zener and a dropper resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back