Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl

Hey guys, I saw this thread got some good response, so I figured I would try my luck on this site. i like the forum layout thus far :D

I have what I believe is a bipolar stepper motor. It has 6 wires. I cant seem to find the datasheet on it, but I am going to keep looking.

The wire colors are:
red
red/white stripe
Green
Green/White Stripe
White
Black

Knowing the wire color, would it be wise of me to make an educated guess on the wiring w/o seeing the datasheet?

Anyhow, I have a microcontroller that is powered off of my computer USB and my stepper motor must be powered off of 12Volts. I am using a car battery for the 12V

I am just wondering how I should handle the grounds for the 2 power sources, and what is the general theory behind the answer. I have built the top diagram I found on the arduino website.

Thanks for your help. I just dont want to blow anything up :D

WOOHOO. Got it to work off of my arduino power. Im kinda surprised 5Volts worked on the 12V stepper, but w/e. I still would like to know how to do it with the 12 Volt car battery. More torque ftw

A 12V stepper will generally work fine with 5V, just don't expect rated speed or torque.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back