Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecid

Hallo!
Once again, need some advices...

As you can see on the picture i attached, it's a six wires motor stepper (an unipolar one, as far as i know), with a gear box. It's written on it = 12VDC Hz 4,5 W ; marked HURST ; RPM MODEL ABS ; P/N SP-3165 ; RED 250 5/88

Question:

1. I want to control it with a microcontroller (Atmel89C51), is a driver required? If it is, why and how? Because, a friend told me that it wouldn't need a driver, but with such stepper specification, i become hesitate. Is a ULN2003 would be enough?

2. How is it to determine which wires is COM and which wires is COIL?
Wires colors : blue ; white ; white – bluestriped ; white – blackstriped ; black ; red

3. Based on what written on it, which one to determine the RPM or phase of the stepper?

4. How to test if a stepper work or not?

That's all... Thanks very much.... is there anything that i should know about stepper, please inform me....

Attachments

• stepper.jpg
    stepper.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 133
1. The answers are yes, because a micro cannot handle the current required, with a driver that can, your little friend is misinformed, and maybe.

2. Measure the DC resistance between pairs of wires. Values will be Infinite, R, and 2R. From that you should be able to work out where the coils are and there should be four of them.

3. If you can interpret what is written on the motor with information from the manufacturer then maybe, otherwise probably not.

4. Put some power to it and see if it moves, same way the rest of us do it.

stepper?

papabravo

1. any driver suggestions?

2. After i found the one is Infinite, R, and 2R. And than?

3. that;s the problem... i can't understand it

1. Measure the resistance of the coils and start with a driver that can handle a current of E/R (Ohm's Law)

2. C'mon. 2R goes from one end of a coil to the common to the other end of a coil. Draw yourself a picture. Once you know where the commons and the ends of the coils are, you're home free.

3. Neither can I. I'm neither a mind reader nor a magician. The information given is not relevant to the question you posed, which had to do with RPM and phase and was an ill formed question to begin with.

Try this link
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back