Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor for swing door control

Status
Not open for further replies.

drkidd22

Hello,

I need some assistance with looking for a stepper motor. I've never used one before and I got this project to build and assembly to control a door that opens to a max of 45 degrees (the doors we have at our home, but a little heavier).

So the doors to be controlled by the stepper motors can be from a range of 25-100lb mounted from 3 to 5 hinges. (These just my initial assumptions to get and idea of what type motor I will need).

I will be taking care of the circuit later on, but for now I'm more interested in finding a small low power compact motor that can be used for my application. Like what kind of torque will it need.

Any help will be appreciated thanks.

It really depends upon how much force it takes to move the door and how fast you want the door to move. You can use a very small motor and gear it down if the door can move slowly.

How do you plan on connecting the motor to the door to convert the rotary motor motion to door motion?

If the door is exposed to wind or is subject to being forced open or closed the gearing and linkage will have to be able to withstand very large forces in addition to overcoming the hinge friction. That will be a major factor in choice of a suitable motor.

Even the smallest motor on the planet will do, provided it is geared down sufficiently; but the opening speed will be extremely slow.
You need to quote the desired speed more precisely than "the door will not be opening that fast" if you want a meaningful answer.

Ok, so you see how the automatic handicap doors in hospitals open up when you press the button?, The speed will be just a little faster than that.

So what's the factor that will affect the opening speed? Torque and Gearing setup?

Last edited:
The factors affecting opening speed are motor torque, motor rpm, reduction gear ratio, and connecting lever distance from the door pivot point. You will need to measure, or estimate accurately, the torque needed to open the door (against any closing force exerted by a door-closer/spring) at the required speed. If you know the lever-to-door-pivot distance you can then calculate the force the lever must exert. From that you can calculate the torque the output gear must provide. Dividing that by the gear ratio of choice gives you the torque the motor has to have, and with which info you can search datasheets to find the right motor.

For the link I posted above, or any motor that specifies holding torque, the motor specs say it's Holding Torque : 2.3kg*cm.
Does that mean that this is also the "moving" torque capability of the motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back