Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor driver!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Rogers

User Extraordinaire
Forum Supporter
Most Helpful Member
I have driven stepper motors before, so bringing the old engraver down to refurbish ( I want to make a PCB mill )

Here's the beast.... There are two Sanyo Denki motors rated at 4.6A per phase but only 2.2v ... Is there drivers out there for 2.2v motors??

stepper.jpg

Yeah I've been there.... Even pololu don't make one... I have been told that the "actual" current will be 2/3's so I'm going to make two stepper drivers using PNP darlingtons and a suitable heat sink.....

It's weird... I may be better off lobbing the steppers and putting in 12v / 24v ones...

Been a while and may not be remembering right, but the nameplate voltage is not the driven voltage for steppers. The nameplate voltage is a DC voltage the coils are rated at. The real driver/driven voltage is ~10 to 15 times higher than the nameplate voltage. A look inside a inkjet printer will show what I'm saying. Compare the powersupply voltage to the motor voltage in one.

Or look at the page Max suggested.

Originally before PWM type came popular, the higher DC voltage regulation used be done with a series resistor in order to maintain the rated motor voltage & current as the inductive reactance increased, crude but worked until the more accurate PWM semi-intelligent drives appeared.
Max.

Yes steppers that microstep are often driven by ic's with 3 or 4 x the rated motor voltage, the idea is so the controller can overcome the inductance of the motor windings quicker (as Max said), giving better torque and rpm's.
If you full/half step with no current limit, then your limited to the motor voltage.

I use drivers like this on small 5v motors with a 24v supply.

I set the amperage low but strong enough that they don't miss steps.

The little one on my Z axis doesn't get hot drilling 200 holes in a PC board.

Stepmotor Driver, 3A Max, TB6560 $14.95 USD
https://www.mpja.com/Stepmotor-Driver-3A-Max-TB6560/productinfo/31306+MS

INPUT:10-35VDC (24V Nominal)
OUTPUT:Selectable up to 3A max.
STEP:Full & 1/2-1/8-1/16 Microstep
Full bridge driver for 4 or 6 wire hybrid stepmotors.
Automatic drop to Hold current with no step Input.
Switch Selectable output current. .3A-3A
Over temperature & current Protected.
Under Voltage Shutdown
Opto isolated Step, Direction & Enable Inputs. (+5V Level)
Terminal strips in/out.

Ideally the motor current should equal the plate rated current at all times in order to achieve the rated torque, which is maximum at zero rpm when motor rated DCV is applied at which then the current should equal the plate voltage and display maximum holding torque.
Max.

apology to IR ... ETO's Could I ask if the 4x voltage would be suitable with this stepper please. label says 2.8v 1.1 A . the driver chips are L6201 , was off a calcomp plotter.

step1.jpg

There isn't much torque on this thing.... Its only a small device and moving the table by hand has only a small friction..

I'll run the motors at 6V and start with a 50 /50 pwm and ramp it up slowly until I'm happy and its undercurrent..

Thanks for that link Clyde....

apology to IR ... ETO's Could I ask if the 4x voltage would be suitable with this stepper please. label says 2.8v 1.1 A . the driver chips are L6201 , was off a calcomp plotter.
N0 need to apologize... The more info the better!!!

Okay Max!!

I've just check the henries on the motor and all the windings are 1mH +/- 2%

So that means max voltage of 70Vdc.... According to the "gecko drive site" Vmax = 32 * VL ( Where L is mH )

So if I run these at 24v they should be okay??? I'm hoping to use the GRBL shield....

Hi Ian,
Do a search on ebay for TB6560 or TB6600 and you will find ready built stepper driver driver modules for less than the price of the parts. I have used one of the TB6560 units with a 180 Ncm stepper motor for driving my 6" rotary table. It works well.

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back