Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor driver problems - L297/298

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentonw2004

Hello. I recently built a bipolar driver using a L297/298 combo. I basically followed the datasheets given for the 297/298 and added some screw terminals and adjustments for control. I just finished assembling everything today, but I cannot get it to work. When powered on, the motor just vibrates and hums. I am using two separate computer power supplies to power the driver. One for the logic and one for the motor supply with the grounds tied together. I have the connection for SYNC left open, CLOCK going to a 250Hz 5V square wave, and CW/CCW grounded. I am certain that the motor is wired in the correct order. I have tried the driver with CONTROL enabled and disabled with very little change. I have not observed any smoke, excessively hot components, or anything else to suggest that the circuit is fried. I tested and made sure all the chips were getting power. I have attached a copy of my schematic that I made. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to the validity of my schematic or suggestions for troubleshooting my issue. Thanks!

Attachments

• schematic.jpg
    schematic.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 2,079
250Hz is way too fast. Use a 555 timer to trigger it at about 10 Hz until you get it working, then you can turn up the speed. Even manually single step it to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back