Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor driver circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

john_kd

this is the driver circuit schemetic diagram for the stepper motor. either unipolar or bipolar.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 3,665
CNC PCB machinE

Im costructing the machine.. i have already dont ckt using... L298 and L97.. How should i choose stepper motor?.. tellme

Hi

and you could do it for half the cost of those two with better performance from Allegro

Hi its me again... My ckt tracks are 1mm .. which mean they can take 1A current at the most.. so i need to choose the motor with this much min. phase current. but the holding torque req. is 50 to 100 NCm which requires more current... also i dont know whether there is any reqierment or condition of stepper motor.. im using L298 L297 for driver..

Hi

what are you trying to do?
more information would help people answer.

Im constructing a PCB drilling machine..

Hi its me again... My ckt tracks are 1mm .. which mean they can take 1A current at the most.. so i need to choose the motor with this much min. phase current. but the holding torque req. is 50 to 100 NCm which requires more current... also i dont know whether there is any reqierment or condition of stepper motor.. im using L298 L297 for driver..

Driver

Hey, I saw your schematic. I am new to electronics as I am better with the mechanical side of things. I have 4 bipolar stepper motors and I am trying to figure out how to drive them with a PIC18F4431. I can get the code to work for the PIC and I have 4 MOSFETS dying to send some current through those Steppers. I don't quite understand how the H-bridge is set up or if I need it. I only want to drive in one direction, but they are 8 wire Bipolar and I would like to set them up for parallel. Thanks for any help.

tdport start your own thread, it's not polite to post a questing in someone elses thread.

I'm also trying to build one of those. Slow going without the $$. I built my own driver from ideas from the many designs on the internet. I found that building an H-bridge isn't that hard to do. I made a little one to practice on that isn't useful for anything but maybe drawing pictures, but the motors were for free from little floppy drives and because they use 12v it's possible to drive them just using 4 simple transistors (2 npn, 2 pnp) a 12v all supply and 4 diodes for flyback emf protection. It isn't efficient nor does it have accurate control of the power of the motors. Still It's fun and teaching me to spin the motors with a 12f675. Give me a little while and I'll put a picture up of my breadboard stepper controller.

ok here it is super simple. I don't have the microchip in the picture right now it's on another project. (Sign of the economy, I use one $2 chip for 4 projects)

Attachments

• stepper.JPG
    stepper.JPG
    426.7 KB · Views: 2,289
Code

Could you send the code you are using for your PIC12. I don't know how similar it will be to the PIC18F, but I am not great with anything electric/programming yet. I don't know if you want to post, but my email is: treydavenport@gatech.edu

Nigel! That's one of them! The CDROM steppers I was talking about =)

I'm out of town right now, but I'll post the program when I get back. It's a really simple program and does not accept commands from a computer. It is forward with one switch and reverse with the other switch. I only made it to learn how to spin the motor. Soon I'll try to link the AD to it to have different speeds. But if you want to make some kind of usefull machine look online and find the programs that are already written and hook straight to your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back