Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepper motor closed loop hight controler

Status
Not open for further replies.

padstar

Hello forum,

i'm looking for a controler or some clue where to look for more infomation on solving a little problem i've got

i want to have a stepper motor that takes it's feed back from a potentiometer, (sliding pot of unknown value at the mo..)

and what i want to do is when the potentiometer goes in one direct the stepper motor will turn one way the if the potentiometer goes the other way the motor reverses...

also i want to be able to tune the middle point. (so some sort of second potentiometer to make an adjustment)

now this seams to be a pretty basic idea, but where do i start...

i'd like it to maybe be speed sensitive so if the pot moves faster the motor spins faster...

thanks for any ideas or help on something like this already..

Could you use an RC servo instead of a stepper motor? Then it would be very easy, you just connect the pot to a 555 timer and use the 555 pulse width to control the servo position.

Or do you need continuous rotation? Even then you can get continuous rotation RC servos now too.

You can get continuous rotation out of RC servos but you lose it's absolute position ability.

the equipment i need to fit this to has a gearbox that controls the height of a large bit of equipment, and so the motor to control it's position needs to be able to produce a decent amount of torque and deliver many turns in both directions, and the control from the height detector which is a contact sensor, but also i need to have some overall control on the mid point where the motor will maintain the height...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back