Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stepdown transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjac7212

Hey guys, im from australia and am trying to build an american guitar amp
anyway i have a problem with the transformer and just needed to know two things. one is that my local store sells a good transformer that gives pretty decent compatibility with the circuit in terms of voltage, it takes the 240 volt aus power. the two bottom taps are 15v and i need a 5v and a 6.3v for these, so how would i calculate the right resistors for these taps to connect to, to bring the voltage down to the right value?
secondly, would it be easy for a noob like myself to wire up a transformer myself? im trying to save a little money and get the voltages closer.

It looks that you have a valve amplifier with 6.3 volts ac for the heaters.

Normally they are fed from a dedicated 6.3 Volts ac winding of the TX.

You can use a 5 Volts regulator (7805 or 7805 + 2 diodes in series on the negative to get 6.2 volts, for the valves, or an LM 317 and set it for 5 volts or 6.3 volts but it would be very inefficient.
E.G. 1 Amp at 15 - 6.3 Volts 8.7 volts = 8.7 watts dissipated in heat.

It is better to have for the valves a dedicated 6.3 volts ac winding.

Also a transformer gives ac which you will need to rectify to dc via a bridge rectifier, and filter capacitor.

jjac7212 said:
Hey guys, im from australia and am trying to build an american guitar amp
anyway i have a problem with the transformer and just needed to know two things. one is that my local store sells a good transformer that gives pretty decent compatibility with the circuit in terms of voltage, it takes the 240 volt aus power. the two bottom taps are 15v and i need a 5v and a 6.3v for these, so how would i calculate the right resistors for these taps to connect to, to bring the voltage down to the right value?
secondly, would it be easy for a noob like myself to wire up a transformer myself? im trying to save a little money and get the voltages closer.

It sounds like your transformer is totally unsuitable, any valve transformer is likely to include a 6.3A winding, so what is the transformer designed for?.

Assuming the rest of the transformer is OK?, then simply use a separate heater transformer for the 6.3V.

Valve amp ?

Where do you need 5 volts for in a valve amplifier ?

I was pondering about that one over the last hour.

Normally 6.3 volts for the heaters and a HV winding (± 200 Volts ac) for your HV dc to supply the 350 V dc for the valves.

Regards from across the ditch, Raymond :)

JJ
Just in case you have not yet made up your mind look at . They have lots of little guitar amps schematics (mainly from the 60's 3 and 4 valve jobs. Some very simple and also some very sophisticated ones
Also https://www.vintage-radio.net/ is a very helpful website when it comes to valve type amps, if you are having problems.

Cheers RH

6.3 and 5 would be heaters, but what about the high voltage secondary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back