Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepdown Transformer for US equipment in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickedcricket

Hi all

Super lame question, I know nothing about electronics and prefer to consult with passionate pros like you guys and girls:

I bought Microsoft Invoke Cortana Smart Speaker, in the US all specs are here:

https://tomstek.us/ac-power-adapter-specs-microsoft-invoke-cortana-smart-speaker/

Do I need a Stepdown transformer in order to have it plugged in continously and that it won't damage while plugged in the UK socket?

If yes, would you be so kind to advise me which one?

Specs of the US AC power adapter:

Model: F19V-2C-DC.
Input: 110-240V, ~50-60 Hz., 1.5 A Max
Output: 19V at 2A.
Made in China.
Energy performance verified.
Conforms to UL STD.60065.
Certified to CSA STD.C 22.2.
No. 60065. Intertek EP 4007837. Intertek 4007852.
For indoor use.
Polarity: Positive center on the DC output “barrel” connector.

Would, it also work with this AC power adapter I found, with the same specs:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074DVP3YQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you all who read this and your time, appreciate the help!

UK is 240V, 50Hz. So no, but if there is a switch on the power adapter to switch it over the input voltage, make sure to use it.

UK is 240V, 50Hz. So no, but if there is a switch on the power adapter to switch it over the input voltage, make sure to use it.

No, I am afraid there isn't one. No switch, just US plug at the end.

I am searching this forum for people with similar problem, but all I find is threads from 2011 with outdated links to probable solutions (like converters etc)

No, I am afraid there isn't one. No switch, just US plug at the end.

I am searching this forum for people with similar problem, but all I find is threads from 2011 with outdated links to probable solutions (like converters etc)
All I'm saying is that if it has a switch you have to use it. If the power supply is smart enough it wont' need a switch.

All I'm saying is that if it has a switch you have to use it. If the power supply is smart enough it wont' need a switch.

ok but I don't want to risk breaking it (again), I broke one already and they sent me a replacement. That's why I am searching on this forum for a help/answer.

ok but I don't want to risk breaking it (again), I broke one already and they sent me a replacement. That's why I am searching on this forum for a help/answer.
Well, it should work if the label is to be trusted. How did you break it the first time?

Well, it should work if the label is to be trusted. How did you break it the first time?

I plugged it in to main socket using a simple US/UK plug adapter. It was plugged in constantly and afer 5th day of working it stopped. It didn't respond nor reboot (there is a flashing diod that tells you if the device is powerd up - it stopped flashing) . That's best how I can describe it.

I plugged it in to main socket using a simple US/UK plug adapter. It was plugged in constantly and afer 5th day of working it stopped. It didn't respond nor reboot (there is a flashing diod that tells you if the device is powerd up - it stopped flashing) . That's best how I can describe it.
Was it the same type of power supply you are asking about right now? Because if it was, it shouldn't have had any issues.

There are plenty on ebay that fit the bill, with more current than you need, 120v or 240v supply.
Max.

Was it the same type of power supply you are asking about right now? Because if it was, it shouldn't have had any issues.

It was actually different. The previous one was with detachable main plug like on this photos:

https://www.google.com/search?q=har...UICygC&biw=2560&bih=1326#imgrc=3rvWgwmxgv6CdM:

and

https://www.google.com/search?biw=2.....0.0.0....0.TEqqZsPmC8c#imgrc=1TF8vYubFzI0JM:

the new one looks like this:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=2.....0.0.0....0.TEqqZsPmC8c#imgrc=YRshn97UKGS3NM:

Hope that helps

That one look just within the current limit, the only other thing is the barrel connector, there are so many variable sizes, but you could always fit the correct one or get someone to put it on for you.
Max.

Model: F19V-2C-DC.
Input: 110-240V, ~50-60 Hz., 1.5 A Max
Output: 19V at 2A.
Made in China.
Energy performance verified.
Conforms to UL STD.60065.
Certified to CSA STD.C 22.2.
No. 60065. Intertek EP 4007837. Intertek 4007852.
For indoor use.

I see all of this concern as a non issue - what if - worst case scenario based on a past random failure event of a device of unknown quality and origin.

If its rated for 240 VAC 50 Hz input then it is designed to work on 240 VAC 50 HZ input.

Being mass produced the only difference between the different units that go to different places is the type of plug they mould into the case. The actual SMPS circuit board and components inside the case are all the same regardless of where in the world they get shipped to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back