Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Step-up Voltage Regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

makan

Hi ppl,

does anyone here has any circuit for stepping up a voltage circuit from 9.6V battery to 12V?

Pls give me a reply, help really needed...

Thanx ppl!

Seach for "boost converter". Lots of practical circuits on the internet. There are ICs which do the job too, within specified voltages and currents.

It would be easier to add 2 rechargable D cells in series with the 9.6v and add a voltage regulator to get an even 12v unless the .6 doesn't matter.

Here is one way to do it.
How much current?

Attachments

• dc_dc_converter2.gif
    dc_dc_converter2.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 714
If you can tell us how much current you need at 12V it would be extremely helpful. There are a couple of circuits that I am aware of, but knowing the current makes a difference in the design parameters.

k7elp60 said:
If you can tell us how much current you need at 12V it would be extremely helpful. There are a couple of circuits that I am aware of, but knowing the current makes a difference in the design parameters.

Hi! Sorry to interrupt ur post, makan.

Would like to ask a few questions regarding the DC/DC converter which i plan to use. I'll be using using the Sun's energy to generate an output of 8-10V, where i will boost the output to a 12V DC level through a DC/DC converter before using for charging purposes. The battery that i will be charging is a 12V DC motorbike battery. Ermm, I do not know the specifications for this battery at this moment but normally, whats the current that will be produced if im using the 12V DC motorbike battery? I was thinking that I can implement the MAX642 IC (switching regulator) in the DC/DC converter circuit to boost the voltage. How do I find out if the respective circuitry to boost my voltage level of 8-10V to a level of 12V DC is suitable to be used to charge the 12V DC battery?

Btw, the output voltage of the DC/DC converter, can I connect it directly to the battery for charging?

Real sorry as a novice like me do not know much. Sorry if my question sounds odd. Need advice...

Thanks in advance...

devonsc said:
Would like to ask a few questions regarding the DC/DC converter which i plan to use. I'll be using using the Sun's energy to generate an output of 8-10V, where i will boost the output to a 12V DC level through a DC/DC converter before using for charging purposes. The battery that i will be charging is a 12V DC motorbike battery. Ermm, I do not know the specifications for this battery at this moment but normally, whats the current that will be produced if im using the 12V DC motorbike battery? I was thinking that I can implement the MAX642 IC (switching regulator) in the DC/DC converter circuit to boost the voltage. How do I find out if the respective circuitry to boost my voltage level of 8-10V to a level of 12V DC is suitable to be used to charge the 12V DC battery?

As I've mentioned before, I wouldn't worry about DC/DC converters until you've evaluated your panels performance - if the panel doesn't provide enough power you're just wasting your time!. Make sure your panel will provide enough power (so for a start you will need to know how much power you require?), then bear in mind the DC/DC conversion (if required) will make a loss as well, probably losing 10-20% of the power from the solar panel.

Thanks a lot Nigel, I'll get and study the specification sheet as soon as possible.

Erm, you sound mad, hope I'm not annoying. Real sorry if I am. Thanks again..

devonsc said:
Thanks a lot Nigel, I'll get and study the specification sheet as soon as possible.

I would suggest you actually measure the output of the panel under the light conditions you're planning using it under. The theoretical specs on the panel are likely to be MUCH! higher than the results you will get in practice.

I'd be interested to hear what your results are, and what the specification actually gives!.

Erm, you sound mad, hope I'm not annoying. Real sorry if I am. Thanks again..

Not mad 8) but just concerned that you're charging ahead without doing the very basic things first - it's pretty pointless designing and building based on this one panel that you have, only to find when you've finished it that you need 8 or 9 panels to provide sufficient power for what you want.

The time to find that out is NOW!, when you can (hopefully) drastically reduce the current demands of your design, rather than throwing it all away and starting again.

Hey ppl, once again thanx for givin me ur replies...

about the current needed it would be about 0.5mA...

and also k7elp60 do u have the circuit...if u dun mind can u send to my email hiuyi_87@hotmail.com

thanx so much from u guys' help!

One tip about solar panels... they have ( as Nigel points out ) very different spec sheet to real world values. Also, panels will typically output a much higher voltage when new, than after in use for a period of time. For example, the large 64 Watt panels I use at work generate up to 23 Volts when new, open circuit, and after in service for a few months, level out around 20 Volts open circuit, 16.5 or so at design load. Better manufacturers are upfront about this, and have derating curves for output versus load, temperature, etc.

Also, some panels are not very shadow tolerant, with the output varying by massive amounts during partial shadow of the panel.

I would do some experiments with your panel before comitting to any design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back