Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

step my voltage up a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgetwo

my power grid is 220v 50hz but i get 175-200v, If I insert any cd in my desktop pc and the cd rom starts spining hard, the pc turns off. it is obvious that my power supply is not giving enough power for every thing in the pc to work properly. i have tried it with an AVR and the whole ting worked fine. I need your help in building a small step up transformer that will boost my AC inptut from 180 to 220V. how do i calculate the turns and wire guage for this self induction transformer ?

Why don't you ask your electrical utility company to fix the low voltage problem?
Oh, you are in Africa. Pity.

A computer supply wouldn't care if the input voltage was lower. Most likely you just didn't put a powerful enough power supply in. Go get one that is bigger.

Buy a buck-boost 'frmr, wire it as a boost.

why dont you buy a full automatic voltage regulator that is available in local shops? these days you can find very nice ones at market.

if you have short of knowledge and uinterest to build one, then use a 220/50V transformer. select the secondary rating bit higher than required by the power supply.

now when you connect it to 180V you will get nearly 40V on your secondary. make this voltage like a series with your mains, ie: you are making your transformer as an auto transformer. connect the terminals to get 180 + 40 = 220V.

hope it is quite simple and what you need is to buy a propper transformer of 220/ 50 V

Last edited:
If it's a fairly new power supply, it's probably universal 90-240V input. How old is it? Where did you get it from?

we are talking about a new ps here. without a step up or step down switch behind. i cant buy an AVR when i have the components at my disposal. I need ur help in building this 'guy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back