Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

steering help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr37

afternoon boys n girls, im in the process of making a buggy (well not very far in anyways) and im just coming to the steering system. essentially it should steer like a car, but im just confused as to what component to use to adjust the position of the front wheels. im not looking for a circuit diagram or anything, just afew hints to push me in the right direction. thanks:)

not radio control... will folow light, im using sensors to controlforward/back and left/ right movement.... but a servo you say?:)

i'll look into that...

hmm,that servo looks mighty big... and like it would result in a very easy (and low grade) electronics project... any chance i could knock something up out of nand gates and opamps? (i have a reasonable knowlege of these and very basic understanding of programing pics)

Are we at cross purposes here?, you asked for something to move the steering - how can a collection of gates create a mechanical movement?. You use the gates (or PIC) to drive the servo.

Russlk said:
I think a stepping motor would be better than an analog servo.

ill be honest... i have absolutley no idea what either of them are:eek: this is basically the first time ive used any kind of outputs (except led's n buzzers etc) i tried to find out what they were before my last post, but as you can probably tell, it didnt get me very far.....:eek: could someone run down what they are real quick for me please? much appreciated:)

A stepping motor is probably beyond your capabilities at this point, so I will try to explain about analog servos. There are position servos and speed servos. The position servo will rotate to a selected point and stop. The speed servo will run at a controlled speed. An example of a speed servo is a DC motor driving a DC generator. The generator output varies with speed, so if you compare the generator output voltage with a reference voltage, you can control the speed by keeping the generator voltage (speed) equal to the reference voltage. The motor speed is usually controlled by controlling the field current.
The position servo uses a potentiometer connected to a fixed voltage. The pot output varies with position and can be compared to a reference just as in the speed servo. The servo will oscillate (hunt) if the gain is too high but you can usually stabelize it by reducing the gain. There are other, more complex methods of stabelizing the servo loop.

mr37 said:
that position servo sounds just about right:) cheers guys

It's exactly what it's designed to do! - I suggest you go and look at 'proper' radio control cars in a model shop (Tamiya etc.), you will soon see exactly how they are connected.

any chance one of you nice people could give me a link to a really simple one (for simple people:rolleyes: )? cant really seem to find what im looking for:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back