Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Steam engines

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
This is a spin off from another thread, I thought it better to go into the engines here.
I really like the 6 cylinder radial engine! that is really nice work, I dont have a compressor so I will be using steam. Compressed air looks really handy for testing engines etc and keeping at least variable controllable. How much difference have you found with things like wear rate using compressed air instead of steam?
Because I havnt used compressed air I am mostly guessing here, but it would seem reasonable to assume less wear with a dry compressor? I was surprised you dont seem to use any oil with the 6 cylinder doing 30,000 rpm! Had I of not seen your video i would swear blind that oil at those rpm's was a must have, but that engine seems to run beautifully without it.
I would really like to build up the skills to make something like that, I dont know why but I like steam and making a boiler, however seeing yours run on compressed air sure makes it attractive from a practical point of view to try and get a compressor.
dad has talked about getting a dry compressor like dentists use, this is for the GC as currently we use air cylinders and it gets expensive.
What volume of air do you use roughly? I am wondering how big a compressor would be best to get (actually I am wondering how cheap a compressor I can get away with :D).
great videos you have on you tube by the way.

Sorry the above is aimed at gary350

Last edited:
Sorry gary many of the questions were on youtube! I dont normally read the comments hence the stupidity of asking what had already been answered! I get fed up with the trolls on youtube so I tend to not read the comments. The oil thing now makes sense, I think the question regarding sound frequency and the rpm is way off! clearly its doing way way over 6500rpm!
Loved the ELF and Safety trolls with the shield and you must have your cast iron underpants on when its run blah blah blah, but yeah I would be hidden behind a wall had I built it lol.
The sound is amazing considering its air powered and not petrol (gas), all full throttle with eyes closed you would never guess air power.
What materials did you use for the crank etc?

Thanks for the plans,I will need to get them translated! What would you say was the max number of cylinders on the rotary one you could get away with?
Any idea what HP it throws out?

Sure Gary350 put some up in another post,
thats is one of them and from you go onto his channel, he has some great engines he has built. I really like the rotary multi cylinder one

Sorry I didnt know it would embed like that! I will try and post the one I was talking about.
This is the one I really like
I would love to try and make something similar!
I dont know if my skill is upto that yet, and its too late for the exhibition time wise, but I wish I had seen it 4 months ago! I will try and make one, it would of been excellent for the demo!! even though the original idea was to use a Stirling engine.

Last edited:
I wish I hadnt started looking at others now!! Grrrr I have more than enough hobbies and projects lol. I like the design and look of this one as well

I wonder if you could actually get one to power a model plane? I dont mean itself but as a generator for the plane motor??? Yes mad way of doing it but kind of cool as well. If I make a rotary one I will put it into a car or boat, again I plan to use it as a generator rather than drive the wheels or prop directly.
This is just a preference and it might make the speed control simpler by using an electric engine for the actual drive

I;m not sure where or how the guy came up with his 30,000 RPM figure for his radial air motor. I have a air powered die grinder that runs at those speeds and I think also has a 6 vane air motor to which effect it really screams compared to his six piston motor.

Still fun to watch and hear his piston motor though! :cool:

I;m not sure where or how the guy came up with his 30,000 RPM figure for his radial air motor. I have a air powered die grinder that runs at those speeds and I think also has a 6 vane air motor to which effect it really screams compared to his six piston motor.

Still fun to watch and hear his piston motor though! :cool:
The guy is a member here, gary350. I honestly see no reason to doubt him, he had it tested with accurate gear and no reason to lie.
He has made a really nice job of it, way way more power than my little engines :D.
I never intended to do anything with engines after the exhibition thing, but they are very addictive! No idea how long before I can afford a small lathe but I have really enjoyed the mechanical side of building them.

Looks like most the steam nuts have gone from here! Oh well, was nice to see a few old faces again :D, I might pop back again some time to say hi

If you want to make a few engines, start here:
http://john-tom.com/html/ElmersEngines.html

Everyone starts out with the wobbler engine. You need access to a mill and lathe, you could technically make it with out either of those. I made one with a lathe and drill press. Fair warning: Boilers can and will explode if not made properly. Dont try and make one if you are inexperienced.

Compared to electronics, making engines is very expensive.

Currently Im working on a gas engine.

The lathe is my issue, I have a drill press and a cnc mill, I used the school lathe for the other two engines but access to it is very limited. The cost is very high when you are 14. I have seen one for around £800 that has a 500mm bed, I dont want to go to much smaller than 300mm because the tooling gets smaller and costs more.
Or I go the make 3 phase converter and get a cheap secondhand 3 phase lathe.
But the cost of getting the converter negates the savings on the lathe.
I have built a Stirling and a vacuum engine, the project was meant to stop there.
Thanks for the link I might take a peek!
I have access to a water pressure thing at school to test any boilers I make, I also buy in the mahood steam engine pressure valves, they limit the pressure to very low amounts but thats ok

9x19 lathes are the way to go. Wish I saved up a little more and waited. I could still do that though. Getting a 330 lb mill down a flight of stairs..well that was a chore. You could actually use a mill as a lathe-Providing you can get a chuck mounted on the quill and the head rotated 90 degrees.

Or if you have a rotary table, you can use that on the mill.

its a cnc mill computer controlled, unfortunately I can find a way to use it as a lathe.
I have seen full size 3 phase really cheap, but dont have 3 phase here, we did at the old house (a farm) so we had a decent shop.
Back then I wasnt so interested in the metal work side.

Get into when your older and have more money. It could be a "passing" hobby. I was the same way with pyrotechnics. Now I have a stock pile of chemicals that wont get used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back