Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Static Electricity light LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibwev

I am trying to help my 4th grade son with his science project. Would rubbing the PVC against the Rabbit Fur using the attached diagram allow the LED to light? If so, please help with the following questions:

1) What size diode would be required to prevent the capacitor from discharging between the PVC and Rabbit Fur?

2) According to an article I read, one can expect up to 30 kV of static electricity when rubbing the PVC with the Rabbit Fur. Would a 50 kV rated capacitor with capacitance of 400 pF suffice ( such as, UHV-253A )?

3) Would a resistor between the capacitor and the voltage regulator suffice for reducing the voltage to 5V?

Attachments

• science fair .pdf
    140.5 KB · Views: 159
Hate to bring bad news, but this will not work. First, there is only picoA of current created by rubbing the fur; you need milliA to light a LED. Second, a voltage regulator chip has a maximum input voltage spec, typically about 30V. What is it going to do with a few thousand Volts?

You might have to go old school with a neon bulb.
**broken link removed**

It won't be bright but you should see it glow in the right conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back