Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

startup equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Electrified

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice, I am looking to setup an electronic workbench at my home. I graduated back in 2000 with an associate degree in electronics, and at that time, I stayed in the telecommunications field, now I am looking to get back in the electronic field where I should have stayed - voltage and current is in my blood - LOL!

With my budget being somewhat limited, I need to know about the following equipment - what I can startup with without breaking the bank, but yet being able to troubleshoot and create circuits without running into problems where the equipment isnt capable of handling the necessary voltage, or current etc. Whats a good starting point.

1. Dual Variable power supply - how many volts and amps can I start with.
2. Oscilloscopes - what is a good starting point - bandwidth 50MHZ, 100MHZ, 200MHZ, etc. dual channel, triggering, etc.
3. Frequency counter
4. Function generator

I believe these are the basic necessities to start with. And if there are some other equipment I don't have listed, by all means mention them to me and I will take note of your input.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

- power supply
the power output of the variable power supply depends on your intentions. If you want to drive high current stepper motors the output should suffice for that purpose.

For "normal" electronics I suggest a dual power supply each 0 to 30V/2A with a built in fixed supply of +5V/5A.

These power supplies are manufactured with dual LC-Display and the switching capability for series and parallel connection.

Check out PEAKTECH and Mercator International for those. The one I described above was purchased at Mercator for 199€. (Korean brand)

- oscilloscope
check out OWON and RIGOL for those. OWON has the better displays (full colour 640X480pixels (VGA)) 7.8" RIGOL has 5.7" displays with 320X236pixels, but the electronics are better than OWON's.

For applications using MCUs a bandwith of 25MHz should be sufficient. For RF circuits choose a band width of at least 100MHz.

Purchase one each and use the OWON display with the RIGOL. :)

- frequency counter
also here check out PEAKTECH

- function generator
the PEAKTECH 4080 is a combined wobbel-generator with frequency counter

Useful tools: automatic temperature controlled programmable soldering/desoldering station (ERSA), soldering tin 0.3 to 0.5mm, plyers, cutters, tweezers, screwdrivers and last not least

- a 10 pounds hammer in case the circuit won't work :D

Regards

Hans

DC power supply: dual supply or two inexpensive single output types, something like this one:

http://www.testextra.com/extech/extech_382202_dc_power_supply.htm

I like old used HP equipment, but Astron is ok too.

For scope, I would start with a 100MHz analog scope for less than $75. I like the HP1720 or HP1741 myself, if it has a bright trace and is working well. If you want something good and up to date though, get the Tektronics TDS2000 series model of your choice. This is the workhorse/starter professional series and works very well.

You will need a portable voltmeter. Most will do OK, don't need to spend a lot. Even my old Radio Shack meters are good enough for most things.

I don't use a function generator all that much, so to me is a lower priority. For frequency counter, shop for something on ebay for about $150 or so.

I agree with the previous post that a high quality soldering iron with replacable tips and good temperature control is essential. In fact, you should have two on your bench for surface mount work. Also, get a heat gun with various attachable nozzles for hot-air soldering. Its really nice to have one made for soldering, but they are expensive and many get by with the cheap ones made for paint stripping, with homemade nozzles to control the air.

Last edited:
If budget is a primary concern, stay out of the new equipment stores and concentrate on used equipment. You can buy used, laboratory-grade test equipment far cheaper than you can new equipment with inferior specifications and capabilities. For instance, I can spend way less than $1000US and get a 500MHz analog scope that will run circles around ANY new digital scope you can buy for $1000. The only thing I don't get that I can't substitute using my brain and a calculator is storage, and you can probably modify a Webcam with a hood to handle most of what you need that for!

Dean

Last edited:
I had a 1.2GHz freq counter for the longest time. Never used it once so I gave it away to a friend who built ham gear. For most freq measurements that I ever needed I could use my scope. Unless your into radio gear I would say the counter is not needed.

What you need depends on what you are going to do. Buy the few things you know you must have and hold on to the rest of your cash. They buy what you need when you are sure you need it.

I 2nd or 3rd the suggestion regarding buying a quality used scope. Scopes from Tek/HP/Agilent are built to last. But with a used scope you need to know the condition of what you are getting. As is is bad news.

Depending on some of your requirements and skill you may think about bulding some of the equipment. Or not.

3v0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back