Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

starting small DC motors with solar power

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddsellars

Hello
I am using small dc motors (12 vdc .05 amp) powered by solar panal (12 vdc).
My problem is it takes much more power to start the motors than to run.
I would like to give the motors a little boost so they can start earlier.
I am thinking somehow a capacitor circuit of some kind may work?
There are no switches in the circuit now, it needs to be in auto mode.
Any help with this would be much appreciated.
David

I'm certain it'd be possible to develop a circuit that slowly stores energy in a capacitor and releases it to boost start your motor, however as an alternative there are special motors for this application titled "low inertia" or just solar motors.

Last edited:
Fan motors

I have to use the OEM fans I am using. And can tell they are stalled between the magnet poles at the lower voltage range. I don't know how to design such a circuit to store the necessary boosting current. I am hoping some one could layout a simple schematic or maybe there is a product that would work.
Thanks

I have to use the OEM fans I am using. And can tell they are stalled between the magnet poles at the lower voltage range. I don't know how to design such a circuit to store the necessary boosting current. I am hoping some one could layout a simple schematic or maybe there is a product that would work.
Thanks

Here is a simple chematic:
**broken link removed**

Thanks so much for the schematic.
The system has to be left unattended, so if a switch is needed?
I guess being that would be the challenge?

Go to:

Welcome to talkingelectronics.com

and click on Robots in the left menu. The article contains a number of circuits that store energy from a solar cell and pump it into a motor when the voltage is a certain value.

From these circuits you can see how to apply the concept to your 12v motor.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the schematic.
The system has to be left unattended, so if a switch is needed?
I guess being that would be the challenge?

left unattended? That means that motor goes left?

If motor goes the wrong way, you can easilly fix it by change its poles. Exchange the wires that power the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back