Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting programming problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

binzer

What is a good editor to use with Mpasm? I have copied a few code snippits and pasted them into a Wordpad or Notepad file just to try and compile with Mpasm. I get errors haveing something to do with 'and', there is no and or & in the code I tried. I know I am doing something wrong. I am going to do some (more) reading on using Mpasm and Mplab (just have to find time).

Thanks.

binzer said:
What is a good editor to use with Mpasm? I have copied a few code snippits and pasted them into a Wordpad or Notepad file just to try and compile with Mpasm. I get errors haveing something to do with 'and', there is no and or & in the code I tried. I know I am doing something wrong. I am going to do some (more) reading on using Mpasm and Mplab (just have to find time).
MPLAB. MPLAB. MPLAB.

If you're a Linux guy (your avatar makes me think you may be) you may not be able to get MPLAB to run. I tried with Wine and it wouldn't work (I didn't work very hard at it though).

You can run Piklab though. Have a look at my article about Piklab installation/configuration in the 1st issue of .

Piklab is in early development and has some bugs and doesn't do everything MPLAB does, but for a program that early in dev it's very useable! Not too bad at all.

Last edited:
futz said:
MPLAB. MPLAB. MPLAB.

If you're a Linux guy (your avatar makes me think you may be) you may not be able to get MPLAB to run. I tried with Wine and it wouldn't work (I didn't work very hard at it though).

Yup, I have been running Suse for over 4 years and I like it very much for what I need, also have a machine running CentOs, and have played with Ubuntu. I did try out one of the add-ons to run Windows but did not spend a lot of time on it, maybe later. I did stuff together an old Dell P3, 512mb ram, WinXP pro to run MPLAB and friends.

You can run Piklab though. Have a look at my article about Piklab installation/configuration in the 1st issue of .
Took a look at JPUG, good info, did not get a chance to check Piklab yet, been too busy at work and home.
Piklab is in early development and has some bugs and doesn't do everything MPLAB does, but for a program that early in dev it's very useable! Not too bad at all.

I'll give it a check, looking into getting a Junebug.
I did go back and mess with MPLAB and figured out what I was doing wrong, thanks for resetting my 'DUH' bit.
Will MPLAB use my old parallel port programmer? Just curious as to if it works, and I know it only programs a limited number of chips, I have a couple from when I bought the kit.
Thanks, Mike

binzer said:
Yup, I have been running Suse for over 4 years and I like it very much for what I need, also have a machine running CentOs, and have played with Ubuntu.
I gave Suse a real good tryout. Ran several different releases of it. I always disliked it. Never did get comfortable. I've never tried CentOS. I used to like Fedora, but lately the releases have been kinda blah and very buggy. Sabayon is cool, but kind of a pain sometimes. I've kind of settled on Ubuntu and Mint as my favorites.

I did stuff together an old Dell P3, 512mb ram, WinXP pro to run MPLAB and friends.
Whoa! That's a pretty savage machine to be running XP on. You'll be doing lots of waiting. But it should work ok. Watch the dumpsters. People throw away much nicer machines than that, sometimes with windows license decals still on them (worth $100 each). I've found plenty.

Will MPLAB use my old parallel port programmer?
Maybe, but unlikely. Which programmer is it? I'm not at my windoze programming box right now or I'd give you the list of what it works with (around 8 different ones).

Whoa! That's a pretty savage machine to be running XP on. You'll be doing lots of waiting. But it should work ok. Watch the dumpsters. People throw away much nicer machines than that, sometimes with windows license decals still on them (worth $100 each). I've found plenty.

It's not that bad, its a 1gig cpu, just compiled a small test program in a few seconds. This is one of those older el-cheapo boxes, they sell them at a surplus store at work for $69, I did change it a bit, came with W2K and 128mb.
Maybe, but unlikely. Which programmer is it? I'm not at my windoze programming box right now or I'd give you the list of what it works with (around 8 different ones).

It's the Dontronics DT-001.

binzer said:
It's not that bad,
Yup, it's that bad. :p I had that machine's twin in the shop on the weekend to get an Ubuntu install put on it for a customer. EWWW! So glacially slow! I guess I'm kinda spoiled. :D

Seriously, check out any computers you see by or in dumpsters. Just keep an eye out. I've picked up more than one that looked from a distance to be complete garbage, or were under garbage/mud/etc., but ended up being quite useable P4 Celery machines that only needed a little TLC. Good little programming boxes.

It's the Dontronics DT-001.
Not supported by MPLAB.

futz said:
Yup, it's that bad. :p I had that machine's twin in the shop on the weekend to get an Ubuntu install put on it for a customer. EWWW! So glacially slow! I guess I'm kinda spoiled. :D

Gotta install a video card to get rid of the shared memory thing, and max out the ram, I have a GX150,It will do for what I need, base install of XP and MPLAB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back