Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

starting out with pic prgorammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

philr

Hello all

Just finished reading Electronics for dummies, a great read in my opinion
not dazzled and baffled by maths and stuff

Anyway i really enjoyed reading the basic introduction to pic programming

In the book they recommend using the basic stamp chip to start out as the basic programming is easier to get a handle on, they also recommend using a board of educaton (development board) which has a breadboard feature to make testing different ideas very easy.

This is a brand new area for me and i am a rank novice, so would love some suggestions on pic programming and decent priced programmers. or if a basic stamp2 chip programmer is up to date. any thoughts ideas or experiences so i can spend my limited hard earned cash wisely in a field which is quite confusing especially as i have done a google search and had many different options with various specs of sorts.

Thanks in advance

Phil

PS uses intended for, Led fun, programming a rc servo to control chicken coop door opener, and loads of basic robotic controllers whilst i slowly master this great art.

[FONT=&quot]I have had this argument for years. You are not learning to program PIC chips with any of the Stamp devices. The fact that a PIC chip is the heart of the device is mere co-incidence.
You are merely learning to program “a microcontroller” with instructions that someone else has written for you.
It’s a bit like writing a book using pre-prepared paragraphs.
I am not against the Stamp concept but you come out of it with absolutely no idea how a microcontroller works.
It’s like an old-style electronics set that contained plastic boxes that you plugged together. Each box had a number of components and you created lots of projects but you had no idea how anything worked.
It all depends how you want to “skim over the surface” of electronics.
As the book says: Electronics for Dummies." Do you want to be a "Dummy?"

[/FONT]

Last edited:
If you want to go deeper into programing PICs buy yourself a picKit2. Using it and MPLAB you can program in several version of BASIC, C, and assembly.

Once you have the picKit2 you can use $2 to $5 pics in a breadboard or build them into DIY target boards.

3v0

Thanks for replies, Colin i understand where you are coming from with your thoughts. i will take a look at the pickit2, sounds like i can grow with expereince with this one

Phil

just purchased one from a certain well known auction site

**broken link removed**

link above to be exact, this is a starter kit with some PIC's included, looks like it has good capabilities and uk seller.

Things are always more expensive in the uk.
The kit sells for $50.00 Australian and I have seen it for £9.00 to £19.00 in the uk. There also kits of parts for clones for $25.00 and extra PC boards to "burn" the chip.

Thanks, the one i got included the demo board and various PIC's to get me started, probably not the cheapest way to do it, but i had a good sized credit in my paypal account burning a hole in my pocket LOL.

i better have a look at the available programming software out there now, to get a start of using the thing when it arrives. may take a look at basic programming as i used to dabble a long, long, long time ago with basic sg.

PICkit2 from Microchip includes 2 CD's containing all the software you need to help you with programming - that's why you should get the programmer from MicroChip.

thanks Rajbex, looking forward to trying it out once it arrives, i have double checked the pickit2 that i have purchased and am happy it is genuinne from microchip as it comes with 2 cd roms as well as a developer board. i will need to wait until it arrives so i can put theory to practice, as i find it is the easiest way for me with hands on trial and error.

its arrived, and i am stumped !! (already i hear you all shout)

Lots and lots of reading to do, but my first problem is that i wanted to start off programming with picbasic, but the version that came with the item will not integrate with mplab ide software using windows 7.

i know there are lots of discussions on which language to use, but i have a couple of books inc evil genius range which program using basic. Apart from spending £200 for the pro version does anyone know of any other software i could use.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,
Go look at the oshonsoft basic and the 16f simulator license is 39 euros which is much cheaper and in my opinion better then picbasic. With the external routines Eric has written I'm sure you'll be into projects sooner than you think. Now to program a hex file for mplab using oshonsoft after you compile your code there will be an asm file which you open in mplab. You will need to put in the config files for it to compile then just use your pickit2 to program the pic.

Cheers Bryan

Thanks for the info, i have downloaded the program. just doing some google searches to try out a couple of simple tasks such as flasing an led, but finding it very confusing with the results. i know i need to get a good grounding for basic programming, looking at possible books to get, but wanted a simple basic program i could use to make sure hardware is working ok. using a pic 16f690. From there i can continue with confidence

Thanks for that, i got myself in such a muddle with google searches etc, i failed to see the woods for the trees, unfortunately the various books i have with various programs are all based on pic basic language which appears to have subtle differences to the oshensoft software, i have managed to download the free pic basic pro demo which has more chipset options that what come with the supplied CD-ROM for the pickkit2. so although it is limited to lines of text which have a good go with it, such a shame it costs so much for the full version or is it just a case to welcome to the wonderfull and costly world of microcontrollers LOL.

Phil

Hi Phil,
Download and read thru the reference manual PIC Simulator IDE BASIC Compiler Reference Manual and that will give an insight into the form of basic used. I started with pic basic but as soon as I found the Oshonsoft basic the pic basic got deleted and I reckon it is the best basic platform around. Things are progressing slowly on my website but I do have most of Eric's 16f external routines already hosted. As time permits I'll add some basic code for projects but I am pretty busy it wil ltake some time.

Cheers Bryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back