Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starting a New Website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAl

Most Helpful Member
Hello guys,

Someone else wanted to start a new website for circuit analysis and asked me how to go about doing this, so i thought i would ask a few questions here like how hard is it to do this and how expensive does it get, and how do websites attract visitors?
For example, the site may have a circuit with the solution in mathematical form, like an op amp circuit or something like that.

Any idea appreciated.

Employ a 10 year old.... Seriously they seem to be able to throw a web site together easy...

When I took on my apprentice... Remember the one you helped with the math problem... Well he threw mine together in under a week.

I costs virtually nothing as you are usually given space from your ISP when you sign up... I don't think I pay anything for the domain name as its a .co.uk... If I had a .com it would be a £5 a year or something like that...

Google will help you getting hits or you can just put hundreds of "metatags" on your pages... In under two months you will start appearing..

Hi Al,

I myself am interested in this regard.
I guess If you'd like to Attract People then your website must be ATTRACTIVE:)! Furthermore I guess that if you try to have a UNIQUE website then people will come and your website would be popular, I myself have no idea how you can have a unique website though but maybe other Electronics experts do. But anyway I don't think that there is a third way to attract people to your website other than being attractive and unique (maybe I am wrong though).
By the way I have no idea if a circuit analysis website is attractive or not, but maybe other guys know (the guys who come here are somehow related to the electronics so if they think that they are interested in a circuit analysis website then it would be a good point to start but if they don't then maybe it is better you try to change the subject). I am pretty sure that some guys here have valuable info in this regard:).

Last edited:
Hi there,

I built a website for my pipe band a couple of years ago, www.ccpb.org.uk

I would recommend linking from as many sources as possible. For example, we have a YouTube channel, a Facebook page, etc, which all helps to bring visitors to our website. The thing I've found is that you have to try to get people to visit your site without them knowing they are wanting to visit your website (in an honest way).

For example, someone might type bagpipe band into Youtube, come across one of our videos, and then think "I wonder if they have a website". They then visit our website, fight out about what we do, and then think "I wouldn't mind giving that a try", or "so-and-so would like a pipe band for their wedding".

The thinking would of course be different for a technical website, but the idea still applies. Make one or two interesting videos to entice people to visit your website.

Good luck! :)

SS

Hello again,

Some interesting ideas here.

Also, i have to wonder, since we are all not getting any younger as time goes by, what happens to a web site when the owner passes away (ie dies)? Does he make arrangements ahead of time to transfer ownership to someone who could take over the site if that happens?

I've also seen some sites put up by stores in this area that are very crummy sites. They have very little on their sites and so you dont know what they are selling in their store anyway :) Seems like a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back