Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Starter Motor Scooter - Throttle Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSingleton

Hey guys

I'm in the process of building a 12V Electric scooter, driven by a diesel starter motor, and I'm gonna need some input on the throttle!

It'll be ran at up to 150a, and I was wondering if anyone knows of any cheap, off the shelf item that might be suitable for this? Either twist grip/lever.

Any other input relating to this project is more than welcome!

Thanks,

Mike.

Nothing cheap certainly - and a starter motor is a really poor choice for a motor, you might try checking the robot war sites, all of which say NEVER to try and use a starter motor.

Hmm thanks - I've seen quite a number of similar projects using starter motors, so I'd imagine it's more than viable.

I will be using a freewheel mechanism from a bicycle hub, I think this way I'll be able to use a simple On/Off switch for the motor, giving quick bursts of acceleration, and then simply coast.

Hmm thanks - I've seen quite a number of similar projects using starter motors, so I'd imagine it's more than viable.

Depends on your understanding of viable?, short motor life, exceptionally heavy power consumption, and VERY difficult to speed control - oh, and can't easily be reversed, but presumably that's not a problem for your application?.

You've seen a lot of such projects because people don't know better, and such motors are easily and cheaply available :D

Depends on your understanding of viable?, short motor life, exceptionally heavy power consumption, and VERY difficult to speed control - oh, and can't easily be reversed, but presumably that's not a problem for your application?.

You've seen a lot of such projects because people don't know better, and such motors are easily and cheaply available :D

That's totally correct, starter motors are cheaply-made 'brute force' devices designed for short periods of operation where efficiency is a total non-issue. If it were made to work (admittedly, yes, that's probable) then the range would be appalling. A rare earth or neodymium-magnet (sic??) type motor would be far superior. They are pricey but also very long-lived, so there would be few regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back