Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Start with Robot...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medina

Hi!!!!

I really don´t know how to start this post very well but, let´s try.

My english isn´t very good, i´m brazilian, so I´ll try to be the most specific :D

My grade is System Information but now, I work with Firmware development.

I don´t have so much kown-how with eletronic circuits, but I have some work colegues Prepared to help me to know a bit more more about this "new" world.

Talk with then, I have the idea, build a simple robot using the most comom eletronic parts used in our projects:

8051 processors
steppers motors
diodes
transistors
flash memories
PWM programming

So, simple components but for me they are a big secret.

Did you have some guide lines to help me??

Any help is welcome!

[]´s
Medina

Well lets start with what you do know.

Do you know what:
A H bridge is?
What type of robot you want to build?
How to contol DC Motors?
Power Supply for your electronics?
How to program (I figure you do)?

Krumlink said:
Well lets start with what you do know.

Do you know what:
A H bridge is?
What type of robot you want to build?
How to contol DC Motors?
Power Supply for your electronics?
How to program (I figure you do)?

Hi Krumlink!!!

I read about H bridge, and only know it´s used to control motor :eek:

A think, to build an autonomous robot, able to run through a room without bump in the walls. Seems simple :p

I forgot to say, we always use opticals sensors (IR) with 2 leds. Maybe i can use it to "see" the wall and floor.

DC motors I really never use, 1 time only, a step motor.

Power, well, this is a really small circuit, maybe a cell phone batery, or a very long cable can do the work, I really don´t know.

I program in C, C++ and another less importante languages :D . In our work we use Keil to do the programs to 80C51 from Philips.

[]´s
Medina

I would google each of the following things I asked if you knew. Google has lots of info, but also lots of spam (unfortunately). Just look around and see if either the members here can help you further or if you can help your self. We are happy to do either.

as for H bridge:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H-bridge

DC Motor control has 2 wires. Current goes in one way, it goes that way until you disconnect power. Flow it the other way (other wire) and it reverses the motor. Hook that up to a h bridge and you can make a reversing motor with 2 inputs (well at least the H bridges I use)

As for power supply, I would use a pack of AA rechargeable batteries (making sure the voltage is within the limits of your motor) for the H bridge and a rechargeable or not 9V battery with a regulation circuit on it to make it 5V for your MCU and electronics. Running both off the same battery can put more strain on the battery, and I do it like above too.

As for programming, as long as your good at it you should not have problems finding ways to solve the problems that you come across and you should be able to come up with creative ideas or adapting others to your robot. Just make sure that if you do use some body else's circuit, you give credit!

HI!!!!

DC motors seems to be very easy to than step motors but, I think I will use stepper motor. It's only way in my work we use a lot of this type of motor.

To power, it's better use a 9V battery to motors and a pack of AA to circuit? I think with 9V i can have more power to step motor.

About the circuit, I have made some searches on google about this, and I see the is not much to invent, it's not a very complicated robot and maybe this can be equals or so, another projects.

[]'s
Medina

Medina said:
HI!!!!

DC motors seems to be very easy to than step motors but, I think I will use stepper motor. It's only way in my work we use a lot of this type of motor.

To power, it's better use a 9V battery to motors and a pack of AA to circuit? I think with 9V i can have more power to step motor.

No, wrong way round - it's the motors that need most of the power, use a pack of AA's to power the motors, a 9V battery feeding a 5V regulator will be fine for the electronics.

OK, the power is defined: 9V to electronics and a pack of "much as necessary" AA to step motors.

Tomorrow, I'll try to go at a local electronic shop to see what i can find in step motors.

Maybe i can use HDD motors or CDROM motors?

[]'s
Medina

Medina said:
OK, the power is defined: 9V to electronics and a pack of "much as necessary" AA to step motors.

Tomorrow, I'll try to go at a local electronic shop to see what i can find in step motors.

Maybe i can use HDD motors or CDROM motors?

Look for old 5.25 inch floppy disk drives, or printers - none of your suggestions use steppers.

For stepper motor, U can easily buy online or from old computer. I recommend to you to use mplab software to program the microconroller which will run the stepper motor assuming you have the connection right(stepper motor driver)

uaefame said:
For stepper motor, U can easily buy online or from old computer. I recommend to you to use mplab software to program the microconroller which will run the stepper motor assuming you have the connection right(stepper motor driver)

He's using the 8051, so no MPLAB

As for stepper motors, look inside a floppy drive. There are at least 2 easy to spot steppers.

Hi...

Medina said:
Hi!!!!

I really don´t know how to start this post very well but, let´s try.

My english isn´t very good, i´m brazilian, so I´ll try to be the most specific :D

My grade is System Information but now, I work with Firmware development.

I don´t have so much kown-how with eletronic circuits, but I have some work colegues Prepared to help me to know a bit more more about this "new" world.

Talk with then, I have the idea, build a simple robot using the most comom eletronic parts used in our projects:

8051 processors
steppers motors
diodes
transistors
flash memories
PWM programming

So, simple components but for me they are a big secret.

Did you have some guide lines to help me??

Any help is welcome!

[]´s
Medina

Hi...

simply give your email ID....

i'll send you the simple and easy tutorials as how to interface 8051 with stepper motor , diodes etc...

Regards,

Simran..

Simran,

Thnak you!!! Easy tutorials are always welcome!!!

My email is: joaomedina [at] gmail.com

[]'s
Medina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back