Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Star Trek Phaser Rifle LED Bar Graph Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiant777

Hello,
I'm a newbie at this site but I did at one time dabble around with electronic gadgets off and on many years ago. Especially when I got a Radio Shack electronics lab for Christmas when I was in my early teen. Anybody remember these kits?
Anyway, my interest in electronic projects have been ignited again. I've been asked by an interested party if I could scratch build him a set of Star Trek phaser rifles from the last few movies. Namely, First Contact, Insurrection and Nemesis. The rifles have a 10 LED bar graph on them and I would like to install this effect into the ones I am building right now. They all appear to have a chaser circuit for the bar graph which I have found the schematics for on this site but I would also like to install a circuit that would also allow the user to individually light each LED bar, whether but pushing a SET button 10 times or by holding the SET button down until all LEDs are lit. There would also have to be a FIRE button to have the LEDs go blank or back down to blank. I know that I am asking alot but any input would be very helpful.

Thanks,
radiant777

Yes, please post a pic, that's hard to follow. Sounds like it would be easier with a microcontroller and a few lines of code than a bunch of gates, 555's and Johnson counters.

>>a Radio Shack electronics lab for Christmas when I was in my early teen. Anybody remember these kits?

I remember them. My favorite toy ever.

those "toys" were awesome and i remember buildin a similar circuit using them too... to bad i dont remeber what the circuit was.....

edit: lately ive been workin with the lm3914,15,and 16s maybe you could use a lm3914 and a few transitors and a reset switch to turn them off? just a thought if you didn't want to use any pic's or microcontrollers

Last edited:
Only thing that I can find that comes close to what I'm talking about other than copying scenes from the movies is this scratchbuild by this guy on Youtube. The bar graph effect is toward the end of the video.

YouTube - STAR TREK NEMESIS PHASER RIFLE

Also here is a circuit that is being sold on Ebay. This comes close to the second circuit that I would like to try and build.

**broken link removed**

Only thing that I can find that comes close to what I'm talking about other than copying scenes from the movies is this scratchbuild by this guy on Youtube. The bar graph effect is toward the end of the video.

YouTube - STAR TREK NEMESIS PHASER RIFLE

Also here is a circuit that is being sold on Ebay. This comes close to the second circuit that I would like to try and build.

**broken link removed**

Wow! That youtube one is a very good one, it fires a laser beam! ;)

The light effect you are talking about is at 1:40?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back