Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STAR POINT

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Greetings
I work with a reputable Italian owned consrtuction firm named Trassacco in Ghana that puts up the 'villagio' luxury high rise flats/apartments in my country;equiped with 4 elevators apiece with swimming pools at roof top.
We have just got a new medium-low voltage transformer for a new building site.We will install the transformer by end of the week.I will observe the installation very keenly, as this is first installation since i was employed a year ago.
I have a few question:

1.Ideally at what depth should the 'Star point'(neutral) buried in the soil to forestall imbalance in voltage at the secondary side of the equipment?What is the industry practice in the US,Canada,UK etc...
2.Although rare ,is it possible to tie the earth and ' starpoint' (neutral) efficiently ?How?
3.What type of earth electrodes are used elsewhere?
On a different issue,i am looking for electrical technician job overseas for instance , construction work in Africa,south America,Eastern Europe etc. Europe and North American jobs too restrictive..... Salary over here too poor: 100$ USD monthly.

Kwameklu@gmail.com

1. I believe it's about 8 feet.
2. More than one rod may be used, but the ground wire must be continuous. This also allows measurement of the ground Z. Look up uffer ground as well.
3. Copper. There are enhancements that can be used, Typically a ground rod driver cap is used to protect the threads and it's driven by a demolition hammer.

In the UK the neutral is connected to the earth via a copper strap, att least in 6.6kv subs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back