Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Standard output voltage for solar panel outputs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyback

Hello,
What is the accepted standard commercial & industrial voltage bus level for solar panel outputs?
Is it 12V or 24V?
(That is, considering that that an 220VAC inverter is not used.)

Considering that a lot of panels get sold to the Recreational Vehicle industry (trailers, motorhomes, boats), 12V...

thanks, some years ago they were going to bring in a low voltage supply for offices , so that they could power their led lighting and laptops etc from the 24vdc...but i cant find anything on it now. 24v is below the startle level so i think thats the one?.....12v is a bit low , and would be too igh current for office use.

Thanks, they are great refs, but nowhere on the web can i find evidence of a standard DC bus level for solar panels........i found a lighting company years ago who were doing a 24vdc track lighting system for offices...but they seem to have gone out of business now.
I remember them saying that they chose 24v because it was high enough to reduce conduction losses, but low enough to be below the electric shock startle level.

Yes, it seems that the only standard is to convert your solar voltage to mains voltage via an inverter, which is surely very inefficient when you just have a few panels. If there will ever be a standard low voltage dc bus, i feel sure it will be 24v, as any higher and you start getting small zaps when touching it.

At this point in the development of electrical systems there is no longer a need for multiple AC and DC power system to have to exist in a standard working environment being that DC to AC and AC to DC conversion between any voltage level, with conversion efficiencies of 95% or more being common, is trivial in cost compared to setting up dedicated power busses for multiple types and power capacity systems.

Especially so now that almost every modern piece of office equipment comes with a universal power input capability where anything between 90 and 250 VAC is an acceptable power source.

As far as standard solar power system voltages go I don't think there ever was one being DC power systems came in countless voltages over the years. 4 ,6, 8, 12,16, 18, 24, 32, 36, 42, 48, 54, 60, 72, 90, 100, 110, 120, 160, 180, 200, 220, 240, 250, 280, 300, 340, 660, 400, 440, 500, 550, 600, 750, 800 are all common DC voltages used in different environments around the world in countless applications.

Now relating to getting zapped well thats sort of where stupidity gets to learn the hard way being that most everywhere in the world the common utility voltages in the typical wall sockets are anywhere from 100 VAC to 240 VAC in homes and public places and often times can be up to and over 600 VAC in commercial and industrial environments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back