Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stacking In Line Maze Robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

razzler

I'm doing a line maze robot without the use of a microcontroller. I use backtracking to determined the correct paths and store them in memory but the thing is, after the robot reaches the end goal, it has to go back and traverse the successful path back to the start line.My instructor advises us to follow a stacking algorithm but how do we determine that the data inputted is that of the successful path??:( :( :( :( :( :confused: :confused: :confused:

please help...

razzler said:
I'm doing a line maze robot without the use of a microcontroller. I use backtracking to determined the correct paths and store them in memory but the thing is, after the robot reaches the end goal, it has to go back and traverse the successful path back to the start line.My instructor advises us to follow a stacking algorithm but how do we determine that the data inputted is that of the successful path??:( :( :( :( :( :confused: :confused: :confused:

please help...

When you say "without the use of a microcontroller", do you mean your control software is running on a PC or similar?

A stack should do the trick. Think about what happens as the robot moves through the maze: as you explore each new segment, push it onto the stack; if it's a dead end, backtrack to the previous unexplored segment branch and pop the bad segment off the stack. What's left when you finally make it to the end of the maze is your path.

Torben

i'm using a combination of common ICs that would be some comparators and counters and memory.

btw, thanks. it's much clearer now. ^_^

razzler said:
i'm using a combination of common ICs that would be some comparators and counters and memory.

btw, thanks. it's much clearer now. ^_^

Glad to have helped. Pretty impressive doing this without a uC or PC. We get a lot of cries for help on this board from "final year engineering" students whose schools (or instructors) don't seem to teach them anything.

Good luck with the project!

Torben

To store data like that it will be near impossible, unless you have a ton of space for transistors. Stick to MC.

Krumlink said:
To store data like that it will be near impossible, unless you have a ton of space for transistors. Stick to MC.

. . .except he said he's using memory ICs, so as long as he's got the support circuits and clocking down he should be good to go.

Torben

Oh, I diddnt see that. I thought he wanted to just use comparators :p

It would still be easier to use a Microcontroller.

What exactly is the maze supposed to be/solved?

yup...the instructor expects the maze to be solved by the robot...^_^;;;

any more ideas?it'd be great help ^_^

razzler said:
yup...the instructor expects the maze to be solved by the robot...^_^;;;

any more ideas?it'd be great help ^_^

I don't see as you're going to 'solve' a maze in hardware?, it would be far too complicated.

However, you could get your robot to the centre by simply following the left hand wall - but that isn't really 'solving' the maze.

the block diagram is like this

robot sensors->control logic->counter->memory

we'll be using a 4x1 MUX as our control logic and maybe a binary counter

what do you think?

Sounds like a near impossible task to me. You would end up with something like the early pong games. A board about 20 inches on each side fully populated with ttl chips.

Mike.

the instructor specified that we not use a microcontroller and when we ask him for inquiries he gives totally irrelevant answers.how sucky is that?

razzler said:
the instructor specified that we not use a microcontroller and when we ask him for inquiries he gives totally irrelevant answers.how sucky is that?

Are you working as a class group, in teams, or individually?

What are some of his replies? They might be relevant. Then again, maybe not.

Torben

razzler said:
the robot has to go to the end goal and from the end goal, traverse the correct path back to the starting line

Sounds like an incredibly difficult task without processors - essentially you've got to build your own from standard logic chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back