Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stable and long lasting mosquito zapper Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

roltex_rohit123

I want to build a stable and safe circuit that would fry mosquitoes. can I use my eliminator transformer (3 volts 0.5 amp ( 3-0-3) iron core) as the step up transformer to develop up to 300 v and the LM555 to convert the 3 V DC to charge the transformer? then the diode capacitor voltage doubler 4-5 stages would be used to generate the 2-3 Kv. but i have some difficulties. I read in many circuits that 400 v polyester film capacitors were enough. but for 2-3 kv would they be? or shall I use 3 kv disc capacitors and 4007 diodes? I saw that there was a capacior in the YPD zapper across the +ve n negative terminal (HV). can I also connect such a capacitor? then of what value? if i am making 3 kv then is 5 kv capacitor suitable to connect across the positive and negative Hv terminals? are 4007 enough or i need to have some high voltage diodes?? is the transformer suitable or i need to use the ferrite core transformers? please help me friends.

Order one or a dozen from Thailand.

They cost 100Thai Baht each, are rechargeable from mains and put out 5KV between electrodes.

They look like a Pingpong racket.

Don't drop them hard onto the ground or smash them against furniture. The battery will be killed instantaneously.

Boncuk

My government got rid of mosquitoes. Most of the bats are also gone.

You have to attract the critters. Light of any kind won't work. Read this.
HowStuffWorks "Bug Zapper Controversies"

In 1996, University of Delaware researchers Timothy Frick and Douglas Tallamy published a study in the journal Entomological News. They had collected and identified the kills from six bug zappers at various sites throughout suburban Newark, Del., during the summer of 1994. Of the nearly 14,000 insects that were electrocuted and counted, only 31 (0.22 percent) were mosquitoes and biting gnats. The largest number (6,670, or 48 percent) were midges and harmless, aquatic insects from nearby bodies of water. The researchers claimed that killing this many harmless insects would disturb nearby ecosystems. According to Tallamy, most species of mosquitoes are not attracted to ultraviolet light, and certain species only bite during the day. Tallamy claims that bug zappers are worthless for reducing biting flies, exact a heavy toll on non-target insects and are counterproductive to consumers and the ecosystem.

If this is true then I'd like to see using UV bug zappers banned.

I don't have a problem with killing biting insects but I do have a problem with killing beneficial insects.

Last edited:
If this is true then I'd like to see using UV bug zappers banned.

I don't have a problem with killing biting insects but I do have a problem with killing beneficial insects.

Hi there!!
I wont leave the zapper circuit in the open to attract the insects. I am building a handheld racket of square shape with mesh.
the square portion above would be the functional area. there 3 nets seperated by a distance would be attached. the outer two would be same polarity and inner would be different. then this circuit would be powered by a battery and a switch. when switch is pressed it will charge the circuit capacitors. then I would swing it in air to trap and kill flying mosquitoes and not any other insects. in india there are more mosquitoes than other insects so 9 of 10 on the zapper mesh would be mosquitoes and not other insects!! so why would any one ban these??
Could you help me with circuit designing now??
Thank you..

Last edited:
Before my government got rid of mosquitoes with chemical tablets in standing water to stop reproduction, millions of bats ate them and propane powered CO2 producers attracted them and killed them.

I liked to watch the bats attack mosquitoes at dusk but now most bats are also gone.
A couple of nights ago I saw a bat and I asked him what does he eat with no more mosquitoes. He didn't answer.

In another thread you were advised to get a higher rated capacitor. Was there some problem with that advice?

In another thread you were advised to get a higher rated capacitor. Was there some problem with that advice?

that was a different thing. It was a ready made circuit and i was just trying to fix it. this deals with designing and testing a new one. here the capaciotrs i am asking are used for voltage doublers. and the diodes for the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back