Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Squirrel Cage motor voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njguy

I was wondering how the aluminum rods in a squirrel cage motor generate enough voltage to be useful? Also what is the typical voltage in the rods? I understand the concept of eddy currents in aluminum, but how are simple rods producing enough voltage? I am used to the concept of many loops of wire in a coil needed to produce a high voltage but the rods in a squirrel cage are not even a "loop".

You are in the USA so your squirrels are 110 volt.
You don't want to get them mixed up with 220 volt squirrels.

I don't know much about squirrel rods.

Is this April 1?

Are you talking about induction motors? If so, the rotor side does not generate much voltage. The cage acts like shorted coils, and that is the concept used in equivalent circuit models. An induction motor at startup, or anytime the rotor is locked in a stationary position, looks like a transformer with a shorted secondary winding.

The rotor is working on volt ampere values which are not relevant to how many turns it has in its magnetic circuit..

Whether the rotor is getting 1 amp at a 1000 volts through many fine windings or whether its 10,000 amps at .1 volts through one single massive winding of wire either way both are experiencing 1000 volt ampere turns of magnetic flux interaction.

The rotor is working on volt ampere values which are not relevant to how many turns it has in its magnetic circuit..

Whether the rotor is getting 1 amp at a 1000 volts through many fine windings or whether its 10,000 amps at .1 volts through one single massive winding of wire either way both are experiencing 1000 volt ampere turns of magnetic flux interaction.

So if you were to clamp the rotor down so it didn't move, would you be getting any voltage out of the rotor if you managed to hook it up to a meter?

Maybe a volt from one side to the other but not much. Given the stout design and size of the rotor bars they are a almost pure dead short.

You don't want the rods to generate voltage, you want them to provide current which generates the magnetic flux to interact with the stator flux. The only voltage produced is that required to generate the required current through the rod resistance. For maximum efficiency you want rods with no resistance, which is what a superconducting motor has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back