Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SQUARE wave to TRIANGULAR wave WITHOUT op amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

maruben

hi..is it possible to make an integrator without using an op amp implementation?or are there other ways to convert square waves to triangular waves other than using op amp integrators?i need to convert a high-power square wave to a triangular wave, and i don't think there are any op amps capable of handling 50V and 5A inputs and outputs..or at least, none that are cheap..thanks..Smile

Of course. You can just use transistors and capacitors. In the attached drawing, Q1, Q3 and C1 do that conversion.

Attachments

• benchSig-Gen.JPG
    benchSig-Gen.JPG
    127.5 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Are you saying you want to convert a 5A square-wave to a 5A triangular wave? Is it necessary that the input waveform provide the power for the output?

nope, not really..but still can't find cheap op amps that can output 5A.

Thanks BrownOut. im gonna try designing my own now.

nope, not really..but still can't find cheap op amps that can output 5A.
It's easy to make your own "high-power opamp" simply by adding a class b push pull stage at its output. If speed isn't critical, it should work.

hi..is it possible to make an integrator without using an op amp implementation?or are there other ways to convert square waves to triangular waves other than using op amp integrators?i need to convert a high-power square wave to a triangular wave, and i don't think there are any op amps capable of handling 50V and 5A inputs and outputs..or at least, none that are cheap..thanks..Smile

insufficient data...

off the top are you getting AC or just DC pulses? even a fancy opamp will not do what you seem to be asking for. you need to start with energy storage caps. integrate the incoming source and from the storage caps run a buck switcher who's reference voltage is your integrator output. and that still only gets you DC out since the entire AC portion remains above ground. I could go further but you need to tell us what you are actually trying to accomplish here.

Dan

hmm..well i need to make a sinusoidal motor driver circuit..i already have a square wave motor driver that's at 50Vpp..then someone suggested that an easy way to make a sinusoid from a square is to integrate the square wave to a triangular wave, then use diodes to clip off portions at the top and bottom (the wave shaping thingy)..since im working with voltages at 50V i don't think i can use an op amp integrator..sooo that's why im looking for ways to convert square to triangle without using op amps..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back