Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Square wave input to PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulagman145

I have a circuit which outputs a square wave signal upon entering a given state. I am looking for the simplest method of inputting this signal to my computer for access in a BASIC, VB or C program, or other existing software interface. The final goal will be to count the number of times the circuit was in the activated state over a given period.

Not totally new to electronics at the component level, but dealing with computer I/O is a bit new.. definitely appreciate any help!

hi,
Does your computer have a parallel and/or serial port?

What's the squarewave frequency? You can use built-in serial/parallel ports as [I believe] Eric is alluding to. You can also use a cheap USB-serial converter cable, with the squarewave going to the RX pin. Alternately, you could connect it into the microphone/line-in audio port on your soundcard (with a few interfacing components).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back