Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spreadsheet tool to help find resistor values

Status
Not open for further replies.

throbscottle

I needed to find resistors in a specific ratio a while back, so I made this spreadsheet. I've glammed it up a bit for ETO. Hope it's useful to someone.

Some info about it:

It gives base values only, you have to supply the correct multiplier.

It only gives exact values - by design there is no fudge factor

It will only divide the column1 value by the column2 value, so if the columns are in different series it pays to try them both ways round.

If you want to get at the full formulae, there are 3 hidden columns, G, H and I.

Sheet is protected (no password) for the drop down list items.

I used R1C1 notation for the formulae that use the drop down lists - if you modify it bear this in mind (really I should have used ADDRESS() but wanted to avoid including yet another expression. Wish I had done now. Ho hum.)

I created it in Libre Office - the export to Excel isn't quite perfect - the drop down lists should be the same colour as the cells they cover, and the list below them should be hidden.

Not 100% sure it's working perfectly, would be glad of some peer review!

Think that's all anyone should need to know!

Have fun!

Attachments

• resistor-ratio-calculator.png
    resistor-ratio-calculator.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 147
  • resistor-ratio-calculator.zip
    41.7 KB · Views: 99
Hi. Nice that you have both file versions included.

However, I miss one important thing. You have not provided how to use the file and its purpose. If I spend time on in, I will probably get it, but I won't spend time figuring out how it is supposed to work.

Grossel - you just select the series you want to use (E24 etc) from the drop down boxes, for the two columns, put in the ratio you want in the grey box, and it gives you pairs of base values which will give you the ratio you want, when you apply the correct multiplier(s) to one or both of the values.

Obviously not as obvious as I thought - thanks!

Roff - site duly bookmarked - great find!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back