Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spreadsheet Calculator for Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiz115

Hi

does anyone knows any calculators (Excel/j2ME/windows application) with all the formula needed for electronics? i think it would be nice to have them all in one place instead of trying to remember a formula or searching the net. :D

thank you!

Well, that is actually a pretty nice idea.
Even though I'm all for remembering formulas, I guess it wouldn't be a bad idea having them all in one place, able to calculate through a few clicks.

If nothing like this exists, perhaps we can all start dumping a few formulas here in this topic and someone can compile them as an excel file?

But then again-- THERE'S SO MANY!
-Omar

To steal an idea from my old college lecturer - write them all down on a piece of paper and stick in on the inside of the toilet door! - then you have something to read while you're sat there :D

True story!.

Nigel Goodwin said:
To steal an idea from my old college lecturer - write them all down on a piece of paper and stick in on the inside of the toilet door! - then you have something to read while you're sat there :D

Hahahaa.
Normal people usually bring a book or newspaper.
I guess that's what happens when you keep a beard for that long. ;)
-Omar

i sherched the net and i only managed to find some online calculators... so i guess i must make a start...

Resistance R = V/ I
Current I = V / R
Voltage V = I * R

Capacitive reactance 1/(2*pi*f*C)

Power P = V * I

Last edited:
It would be almost impossible to write down “all” of the equations used in electronics. But, they all can be derived from a few basic principals (or equations). You should become so familiar with these first principals that the few equations that express them are just part of your work a day vocabulary. Things like Ohm's law and resonant frequency equations, should be second nature and generally, things that are more complex either are more complex because you have made it more complex because you don’t understand the fundamental principals that are involved, or you are dealing with something that is so specialized that you simply will have to go back to the books.

But, nonetheless, I keep basic circuits and equations that I rarely need, on 5X7 cards in a file. The card is big enough that I can have examples of how to use the equation. I also keep circuit ideas in my 5X7 card file.

If we gather enough formulas i think i'm going to build an Excel spreadsheet and i'll upload it here...

If a simple calculator is useful everywhere, then the same goes for most of us about a calculator specially designed for electronics. The spreadsheet calculator is good choice because it's easy and most portable computing devices and mobiles phone can handle.

i'm talking about a spreadsheet calculator that you can carry everywhere...
ok..probably the web sites are enough for most of you? right? :)

you posted the original question on the 8th of October. It is now the 2nd of November. If you had spent part of that time making your own spreadsheet calculator for whatever formulas you wanted, you would have had it well on its way, if not completed, by now.

OutToLunch said:
you posted the original question on the 8th of October. It is now the 2nd of November. If you had spent part of that time making your own spreadsheet calculator for whatever formulas you wanted, you would have had it well on its way, if not completed, by now.

I already have the calculator i want for 5-6 formulas i don't want to forgot and i'm interested to have with me.
i was talking about a most complete calculator that can be useful
to many people and not only to me. But as you can see from the messages
others are happy with the web pages and others have written them down
somewhere else...
Do you think i should spend time while nobody is interested?

You should do it, if you find it interesting and useful.

You could give it an OSS license, host it on sourceforge.net, and put a link to the site in your sig. Let those who are interested use it and contribute to it. For extra marks list it on freshmeat.net. :) Lots of OSS software is written by one person who has an itch to scratch, and then picked up either quickly or slowly by others who have similar desires. Surely you're not the ONLY person out there who wants something like this. Remember, despite the fact that electro-tech-online has lots of subscribers, it still represents only a tiny fraction of the internet population.

Good luck with the project if you decide to go public with it!

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back