Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spot gold platiing on pc boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

GizmoWizard

Spot gold plating on pc boards

I'm looking for a practical way to add a layer of gold on homemade pc board traces that are used as part of switches with the "pill" buttons on a rubber keypad.

The Plug n Plate electroplating type systems would work well except that the gold solution has a shelf life of only 4 months. I don't make enough pc boards that require gold plating within the span of 4 months to justify the cost.

Does anybody have experience with this? Another way to plate, or another method to keep the copper from oxidizing?

Thanks

Last edited:
could you just put a light layer of solder over it? that should keep it from oxidizing

GizmoWizard said:
I'm looking for a practical way to add a layer of gold on homemade pc board traces that are used as part of switches with the "pill" buttons on a rubber keypad.

The Plug n Plate electroplating type systems would work well except that the gold solution has a shelf life of only 4 months. I don't make enough pc boards that require gold plating within the span of 4 months to justify the cost.

Does anybody have experience with this? Another way to plate, or another method to keep the copper from oxidizing?

Thanks
Gold:confused: ? How about silver. The silver nitrate is much cheaper and has a longer shelf life. Dont't buy it from Merk or so and check if the silver nitrate isn't on the "whatched chemicals" list in your country.
Also Ni is a solution for plating and u can use diferent Ni salts.

Gold plating is only required where you need good quality low. Rubber pad switches have a very high resistance so gold plating the PCB is a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back