Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Splitting/combining Cable TV/camera signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

raddr

Hi all,

I have a small problem with the wiring in my new house. I have a security camera on the front porch from which the signal is injected into the cable TV channel feed. The camera channel has been set at 118 which is unused by the local cable company. The combined cable TV/camera feed is homerun wired (coax) to several rooms where you can watch all the cable channels and the camera feed if the coax output is hooked directly to the TV.

The problem is that in two rooms I have a cable box/DVR (Scientific Atlanta 8300) into which the combined cable feed is hooked. This requires me to tune the TV monitor to channel 3 to receive the cable TV channels which are then selected from the cable box. As you would expect, when the SA 8300 is set to channel 118 to attempt to view the camera feed I get nothing on the screen since the cable box has no programming on channel 118.

Does anyone know of a way to split the combined TV/camera output so I can select either the cable TV feed or the camera channel? This would of course require one feed to the SA 8300 and another that bypasses it. I assume I would then need to join the two again at the coax input on the TV. I'd like to do this without having to manually get up and flip a switch between the two but I'd have no problem with an infrared control of some sort.

Thanks to any who can help me out! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back