Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Splitting Audio Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

manoutoftime94

I want to take a guitar signal and split it into two paths. One path will go through some system circuitry, only to be summed with the original after processing it. The model is attached as a .png file.

I'd like to know of ways to carry out the "splitting". Do you just put the system in parallel? Or is there a technique I should follow?

Also, for summation of the two signals, would a summing amplifier be the way to go? I have only taken basic circuit analysis and am taking a signals and systems class this semester, so I don't have much experience in analog electronics.

Attachments

• system.png
    system.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 161
If each system has its own Voume control, Iwould just put a "Y" Splitter on the Guitar Output.
One IN and Two Outs

Ah, so something like the buffered Y-splitter below? I was thinking about using the two-input summing amplifier schematic as a basis for the summation stage. What do you think? My end goal is to try to build my own guitar effects, to put things in proper perspective.

Buffered Y-Splitter
buffered Y Splitter.jpg

Two-Input Summing Amplifier
two_input_summing_opamp_sch.gif

Sorry I Somewhat Misunderstood your origional Question.

The Two Input Summing Amplifier above is probaby Best.

But Unlikely you really need the Op-Amp.
Just Take your signal at the Junction of the two 10K resistors

An electric guitar pickup usually has a very high input impedance preamp so that it resonates its inductance with the capacitance of the cable creating a peak at about 5kHz to make the "twang" sound. The preamp can drive a few amplifiers.

Your buffered y-splitter needs only a single opamp that can drive many amplifiers.

Attachments

• guitar preamp.PNG
    guitar preamp.PNG
    15.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Guitar pickup peak.PNG
    Guitar pickup peak.PNG
    73.1 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back