Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Splitting a power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimoune

Hello,

I want to split my 30vdc power supply to make it as if it is two different PS. One output will power a digital ammeter/voltmeter and the other a usb. Just splitting the wires is not good enough especially that I am using the usb port to connect a usb tester. The usb tester gives incorrect reading. Thanks.

It is possible, but you have to explain the required volts/amps for each output.
Also if the common (ground) return must be isolated from each other or not.

What I would do, is keep the 30 volt output as is. You can add a voltmeter and ammeter, there are plenty of offerings in Ebay, both analog and digital.
Then, with a switchmode power supply, I would convert the 30 volt to 5 volt for the USB. By the nature of your question I would not advocate that you design and build it yourself. Again, I would look at what Ebay has to offer. You will be able to buy fully assembled functional switchmode supplies for far less than the cost of the individual components.

I need small current. My digital ammeter/voltmeter works with 3.5v to 30v. The current consumpion is less than 10ma.
The usb also consumes small current.

I agree to the fact of using the power supply as it is for the ammeter/voltmeter and regarding the switchmode powersupply to downgrade to 5v I checked quiickly on ebay but I find them to be quite bulky and expensive!

USB can source up to 0.5 amps.
If you are planing to regulate from 30 to 5 volt @ 0.5 amps, it would have to dissipate 12.5 watts.

The heatsink will be larger, heavier and more expensive that a SMPS, specially those sold on Ebay. This one is US$4.95, and is the very first one I checked.
**broken link removed**

Not only that, it is the size of a common 78xx type regulator.

Last edited:
A radio-electronics magazine once ran a contest to give a prize for the person who came up with the cleverest way to create a dual supply from a single voltage. They got all the usual circuits but the winner was:

a guy who took a 9V battery apart and soldered a wire to the center connection of the six cells inside the battery.

I need small current. //////
The usb also consumes small current.

I agree to the fact of using the power supply as it is for the ammeter/voltmeter and regarding the switchmode powersupply to downgrade to 5v I checked quiickly on ebay but I find them to be quite bulky and expensive!

You need to spec exactly what voltages and currents you need. If you need a 5V rail at low current, just run a 7805 off the 30V line. I don't know what your negative requirement is, but if it's low current you can make a cheap charge pump inverter using a 555 timer and a couple of caps.

How many new threads are you going to start about this same project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back