Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Splitting a car stereo

Status
Not open for further replies.

German_AC

Hi everybody, new guy here from Argentina. Congrats for this awesome forum!

I need a little advise on the installation of my car stereo. I have a 1972 Chevy Nova, and since I like cars to be completely original, I don't like the idea of installing a modern audio device in the dash.
My idea is to install the stereo in the trunk, and the detachable front panel behind the dash (with some kind of mechanism to show it and hide it).
The thing is, is that possible? I mean, just using a long wire between the panel and the main unit will work? Some guy told me that since the unit scan the keyboard at some frequency, if I extend the link between them I will get erratic operation. Is that right?

If the unit has a detachable front panel, the biggest practical problem will be finding suitable connectors to make a cable. It is possible that some of the wires have low-level audio, while others have a digital clocks, and shielded wires might be required. You would need to get a schematic diagram of the radio to determine which wires need to be shielded.

I've seen plenty of modern head units that have ir (and some with rf) remote controls. If you're going to hide everything anyway I'd try using a remote extender in the case of an ir remote and placing the whole unit in the trunk or under a seat.

One possibility to help with the wiring would be to hide the whole head unit as close to the the dash or in the dash itself being that the faces do have several digital signal lines in the connection between them.

If you are going to have some mechanism that moves it in and out the mechanism itself will take up almost as much room as the head unit did already so why not just put it in and be done with it.

I have a number of friends who are into the older cars and many one of them has that same mentality of "It has to be all original but modified to be unique." That just seems total contradictory to me. Either its going to be all original or its modified so you just have to pick one and go with it.

Thanks for the replys.

I have solved the connectors part, I'm going to use an ISA slot from an old motherboard for the female side, and an old ISA card for the male side.

The front uses 22 pin connectors, it came to my mind I can use UTP cable to make the link, I guess it could help insulating the signal right?

One possibility to help with the wiring would be to hide the whole head unit as close to the the dash or in the dash itself being that the faces do have several digital signal lines in the connection between them.

If you are going to have some mechanism that moves it in and out the mechanism itself will take up almost as much room as the head unit did already so why not just put it in and be done with it.

I have a number of friends who are into the older cars and many one of them has that same mentality of "It has to be all original but modified to be unique." That just seems total contradictory to me. Either its going to be all original or its modified so you just have to pick one and go with it.

Well, basically is not like that. I mean, I'm no trying to make something unique. I want to preserve originality, but adding some basic functionallity. 72 Novas only have AM radio, so if you want to enjoy some music, you can't.

Regards.

Well, basically is not like that. I mean, I'm no trying to make something unique. I want to preserve originality, but adding some basic functionality. 72 Novas only have AM radio, so if you want to enjoy some music, you can't.

Thats the same confusing statement I get from my car buddies too. :p
They too dont like AM because it sounds bad but just taking out the AM head unit and putting a a modern one isn't a solution for some odd reason either. However hanging an aftermarket head unit under the dash (usually next to the non factory gauge kit they have no problem with) or putting it some place inaccessible and hooking it up that way is.

Just trying to understand that all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back