Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Split power supply and Battery power difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

april

I have a circuit running on 24V which is supplied from a split rail power supply. -12V one side and +12V the other . Zero in between but not used here. This is one of those kit power supplies popular 20 odd years ago in magazines.

It runs my project which is a LED spreader light with a constant current source attached inside and fed 24V from the above .
The light is switched on and off by an ATTiny85 chip through two transistors which turn on a MOSFet.
and the ATTiny is powered by the same supply dropped down with a LM78L05 voltage regulator. A PIR movement sensor takes 5V also and tells the chip when movement is detected and an LDR tells the chip when it is dark .

So there it is and it all works particularly well, however...

When I try to connect it to a 24 V battery bank it wont work , the symptoms it displays are strange and changeable

Can anyone suggest anything obvious that might be going on ?

Last edited:
Makes no sense at first blush.

Exactly what are the symptoms?

Do any of the internal voltages/currents change with the switch from PS to battery (can't imagine that they would)?

Thats just the point . It does not show cosistent symptoms / The monitor LED flashes differently , the MOSfet switches on randomly and sometimes stays on sometimes there is no activity at all , I have not done a full check in the field , it is rather difficult. Its 20 ft up the mast.I doubt that internal voltages would change , why would they

I'm looking for suggestions that might indicate what a different souce voltage might affect/change?

I'm going to try putting caps on either side of the voltage regulator in case its oscillating and interfering with the ATTiny85.

Last edited:
Yep that fixed it . Well thats surprising.. Battery power makes the 78L05 occillate. I would have thought the lab power supply fed by 240 A/C would be the more likely.
Live and learn

Interesting result. Although it's been my experience that it's always a good idea to put in the caps on the IO pins of the LM78xx regulators.

Maybe some tiny ripple from the split rail supply was suppressing oscillations??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back