Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spice modeling a Variac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inquisitive

Super Moderator
I own a Superior Electric model 21. Its a 120V in, 0-140V out at 4.5KVA.

Has anybody tried modelling one of these in LT Spice?

Why can't you just model it as the standard SPICE voltage source, and set it to whatever voltage the Variac is set to? Unless you're trying to model the Variac while it's being adjusted, in which case I have no idea (but there must be some way to generate a time-varying voltage in SPICE, no?).

Last edited:
Hi,

The kind of model depends on what you are trying to study or just find out. What are you doing that you need a model for this and cant use an ordinary AC voltage source with maybe a little series resistance? Is it something very dynamic?

The Variac is just a transformer with a single variable tapped winding, so you can model it as a transformer with center connected secondary and primary.

Last edited:
Well, frankly being a newbie I never thought of it. But, yes using just a source feed should work as long as current and voltage are simulated correctly.

I would like to understand why something was done a certain way and thought simulating it might shed some light. I'm trying to understand a schematic and modify it to what equipment I have on hand. This would be be the preferred method as opposed to smoke testing and trying again till parts run out. I'm trying to rule out a possible typo in the schematic or something that I have overlooked.

I would like to understand why something was done a certain way and thought simulating it might shed some light. I'm trying to understand a schematic and modify it to what equipment I have on hand. This would be be the preferred method as opposed to smoke testing and trying again till parts run out. I'm trying to rule out a possible typo in the schematic or something that I have overlooked.

Then using SPICE is the perfect way to do this non-destructive testing. To simulate your Variac, simply set up an AC voltage source of the proper frequency (50 or 60 Hz depending on your geographic location), and vary the voltage manually to test at different voltages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back