Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPI Device suggestions for daughter card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't played with SPI devices :eek:, so was hoping for help with your favorite devices.

Would like to duplicate a daughter card that was built for I2C devices per attached picture. The idea being that the card could be moved from one proto board to another. The I2C card was built on a radio shack 276-150 circuit board, so only room for 3 to 4 devices at most. The basic/generic devices on the I2c board were an 24LC256 eeprom, DS1307 rtc, and a DS1721 temp/thermostat.

Attachments

• IM000140.JPG
    IM000140.JPG
    485.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IM000139.JPG
    IM000139.JPG
    545.3 KB · Views: 531
NICE! i love that. You have to remember dev boards are all different (in most have pin layouts different but same pins :D ) also remember this...

... most of those parts come in SPI also so make some SPI versions. Some people (like me) hate I2C. I recently fell in love with SPI... i dont hate I2C really its just that i rather use I2C hardware and SPI bitbanged . Maybe that means i love spi more ? im not sure. But make some of the same things in SPI.

Also How about SPI digital resistors, DAC, ADC stuff like that. (MAXIM-IC is a good source)

Last edited:
You are right about the pinouts being all different, nothing generic about that. I2C has more initial setup time then SPI, once you get your routines/macros down, then no big deal either way.

Looks like Microchip has an SPI eeprom, so a 25LC256, Maxim has clones in SPI too, but they're kind of spendy. Maxim is pretty good with their samples, but will opt for a Seiko S-35190A-J8T1G (RTC), and a plain vanilla temp sensor LM74CIM-5.

The digital pot and DAC sound good, but will wait till a particular project comes to mind. Perhaps a TLC5945 led driver, but that's not exactly SPI.

its not always a good idea to wait until a project demands something. I would suggest learning something and building it for future use.
As of now Newark Prices.
LM74CIM-5: $1.63 USD
Seiko S-35190A-J8T1G (RTC): $2.01 USD
Microchip 25LC256: $1.24 USD

NICE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back