Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speedometer output to control fan speed for Sim Racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libran Rabbit

I sim race and need a circuit made to variabley control the speed of a 12V DC fan to simulate the wind speed.
I'm using a program from SymProjects (SimDash) that outputs to various gauges including a speedometer. This signal can be used to control the speed of the fan/s. I don't use this as I have another type for speed display(digital). The fans are 12V DC 6A.
Needs the ability to adjust the min/max of the fan speed to the min/max of the sim speed per game.
Have limited experience in circuit design, any help appreciated!

You will need to define the nature of the signal that is output by the software/computer. I.E is it an analog voltage is it a PWM signal or is it some form of data stream from which the various gauge outputs need to be extracted. (And if so which hardware interface is used. Serial port, parallel port, USB or other.)

Les.

The signal is what goes to any ordinary electric 12V Speedometer gauge that you can buy from any auto parts store. I believe it's a PWM. 2 wires.

The picture of the signal adapter board with a potentiometer to adjust the gauge calibration would suggest that the signal is an analog signal. you will need to measure the voltage of the signal to the gauge when the gauge is reading full scale. (Not the 12 volt power. This is to power the gauge.)
If the above assumptions are correct then **broken link removed** would probably work. You would probably need to build a unit to convert the output from your unit to a 0 - 5 volt signal. It will probably be cheaper buying a speed controller than buying the components to build one.

Les.

Last edited:
Correct. The 12V is for the lights. So, I measure the signal voltage...
I know this but I don't have the knowledge to get this signal to then control the fan controller.
**broken link removed**

You will need to measure the signal voltage and confirm that it does change with the reading on tha gauge before someone can design the level converter for you. I suspect that all the gauges will give the same output voltage range.

Les.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back