Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

speed controle for motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickk1

Hi I need help again please I have 24v / 100 va supply coming from a transformer to power a small motor. I need to be able to vary the speed from full power to 0 I know I will need a potentiometer but I am unsure of the size to use or if any thing else needs to be used as well as this.
Nick

Last edited:
nickk1 said:
I have 24v / 100kv supply coming from a transformer to power a small motor.

100kv:eek: :eek: :eek:

what kind of motor??

And to giv you an i dea you need a bit more than a potentio meter

Robert-Jan

does the motor say how many amperes it consumes

i would make a PWM control to control the speed

can be simple made with a 555 a few other components and a FET as driver

do you have already some experience or is this the first project that you want to make ???

This is my first project motor amperes is not marked on it but I know its will run at 24v as I have ran it on a 24v 1.5amp supply ,is there a way I can work out the ampage of it.

100VA at 24v than the transformer wil suply roughly 4 amps

if you ran it already on a 1.5 amp suply than i don't see anny problems
the easyst way to find out how much amps it consumed is measure it with a amp meter

I will post a schematic but that's a little later this day (have to work also and it's a busy day for me today)

Robert-Jan

Last edited:
here the schematic like prommissed

if anybody have sugestions to improve it feel free

the assumption is that you feed it with a AC voltage if you have already DC voltage you can skip the 2 diodes in the power line

the advantige of of a PWM is that you use less energy on lower speeds
and you have a beter torque (stronger and more resposive) on lower rpm

if you use only a potentiometer (like you sugested in your first mail) you will burn a lot of energy in the potentiometer which required a big wattage potentiometer (= expensive and hard to get)

good luck

Robert-Jan

Attachments

• PWM schematic.jpg
    PWM schematic.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 162
i'm looking for a pwm, could a use a ssp60n06 mosfet (the same as phillips BUK456-60A). the mosfet is 60amp.

bunghole said:
could a use a ssp60n06 mosfet (the same as phillips BUK456-60A). the mosfet is 60amp.

I am not familiar with that mosfet and it's one I can't buy overhere

keep in mind that they sell the mosfets amperage as it is measured by a single puls at a certain frequency and certain duty cycle at a certain D/S voltage

in real life they handle a lot less because its a repetitive puls with a variable duty cycle and higher voltages where you working with :(

also the cooling factor is importand (have a look into this mater verry intresting) ;)

the easyst thing to do in order to handle more amps is to put 1 or 2 parralel

don't do to many (your driver will not be able to steer them anny more deu to an increasing gate capacitance)

Robert-Jan

bunghole said:
i'm looking for a pwm, could a use a ssp60n06 mosfet (the same as phillips BUK456-60A). the mosfet is 60amp.
I checked the datasheet of the ssp60n06. Rds(on) is only 18 milliohms. Even with 4 amps, it would dissipate less than 300mW when on all the time.

Last edited:
hey guyz why are u confusing nickk1. he just want to control speed of a simple 24v DC motor.
As far as PWM is concerned it is a real good suggestion if he understands.
Good Luck Nickk1

For motor ampere if u know the exact voltage u can calculate its coil resistance and get the rough amps idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back