Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speed control for 24V brushe motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pppopey

Hey guys, I needed help in deciding a cct to use for controlling speed of a 24V motor using two batteries 12V 12Ah. I want to use just ccts and not microcontrollers.

Please help!!! :(

Hi,

What do you mean by ccts?

Do you have to regulate the speed too or just be able to turn it up or down more or less?

Hi,

What do you mean by ccts?

Do you have to regulate the speed too or just be able to turn it up or down more or less?

I think in some manner the OP might be meaning "Continuous Current Transmission" - which is the only reference I could find (and it's trademarked - which tells me its a marketing term):

**broken link removed**

...but I'll leave it to the OP to clarify...

:)

I mostly type circuits as "ccts". I am trying to install a 24v 300w motor into a push scooter. I want to input a speed control, basically just increasing or decreasing the speed, through a potentiometer i guess. I a not able to decide the circuits that I should be considering in order to achieve this.

The max current from the motor is 9A. So the speed control circuit should be able to handle current upto 9A.

I really am not able to figure out how to achieve this

I mostly type circuits as "ccts".

Well - you can see the confusion it caused me; I figured it was an acronym of some sort, as the rest of your sentence was formed properly - had the rest of your sentence looked like textspeak, I probably would've interpreted it differently in the context.

I am trying to install a 24v 300w motor into a push scooter. I want to input a speed control, basically just increasing or decreasing the speed, through a potentiometer i guess. I a not able to decide the circuits that I should be considering in order to achieve this.

Well - it sounds like you want a simple PWM drive system; I would start with a 555 astable-multivibrator, whose frequency output (square wave) is controlled by a potentiometer:

**broken link removed**

That's one example - tons abound on the 'net...

The max current from the motor is 9A. So the speed control circuit should be able to handle current upto 9A.

I'd design for more than that; maybe 50 percent more - so figure about 15 amps. Still, that should be fairly simple. If your motor only has to turn one way, drive the 555 circuit above with 12 volts (VCC), and the output should be around 10.5 volts, strong enough to feed into a standard high-current capable N-channel MOSFET, to drive the motor (you may need/want a heatsink on the FET):

**broken link removed**

I can't vet that top circuit, but it appears similar to what you want (although you may or may not need the resistors prior to the gate input on the FET; I'm not sure what the 555 can handle current-wise, you may need to drive a transistor with the 555 to act as a buffer to drive the FET).

Hope this helps, or at least gives an idea of what to do...

:)

Look up scooter motor controler, There are hundreds out there already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back